cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PST export fast then crawls for one user

jshorr
Level 0

What would cause a PST export to start out fast/normal but then crawl to a near stop.  Meanwhile I can start additional PST export jobs at the same time which run normal speed.

Thank you

2 REPLIES 2

kevin498
Level 1

@jshorr wrote:

What would cause a PST export to start out fast/normal but then crawl to a near stop.  Meanwhile I can start additional PST export jobs at the same time which run normal speed.

Thank you

The slowdown of a PST export job after initially running smoothly could be due to resource contention, where the process competes with other tasks for system resources. This contention may lead to gradual performance degradation as the export job struggles to allocate sufficient resources. Additionally, issues such as network congestion or limitations in the export tool's processing capabilities could contribute to the slowdown.

Prone2Typos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Simply put resource degradation is typically the reason... but other thing can be in the mix, like secondary storage or errors.

As a first step, I would suggest a glance at the EV Event viewer. It can often tell you where the issue is. 

The only way to really be able to tell is to DTrace the processes and analyze the logs to see where the degradation is. These days most of the functions in the logs have a time taken stamp to search for... and that can help you identify the source of degradation. 

A few things I would suggest to keep in mind. This may be the first point of contention, and your journey to expeditious native export may find many bumps on the path to consistent performance. Also, if you are seeking to do this at scale, you would be wise to consider using a third party migration utility like (shameless plug) Archive Shuttle to export your content. Native tooling was not really made for quick and accountable mass export.