Forum Discussion

leechmis
Level 2
11 years ago

A question on Media sets.

Our backup schedule contains daily differential backups, and a weekly full backup.  The first full bakcup of the month is stored for archival purposes for a year and also contains a few extra folders.

Since this first backup is stored longer, I wanted to set it to be a different media set than the others.

Currently, the full backups are scheduled to run evey thursday, with an extra job on the first thursday to get those extra folders, all are going to the same "daily" media set.

Can I set the extra backup job to a different media set, and have that overwrite the shorter "daily" limits, or will it ask for a new tape since it is a different set?

Will it do the standard backups as "daily" and then when it hits that last extra job, reasign the tape as "monthly?

• The media set applies to a tape and not the individual backup sets on it

As such a tape can ONLY belong to one media set but can move from one media set to another during an overwrite operation.

As such be careful if you try to run a job defined to a different media set than the available tape(s) in the drive/library as it may end up with the job either queued asking for a new tape or if it can it will overwrite an available tape removing any data on the tape selected in the process.

2 Replies

• The media set applies to a tape and not the individual backup sets on it

As such a tape can ONLY belong to one media set but can move from one media set to another during an overwrite operation.

As such be careful if you try to run a job defined to a different media set than the available tape(s) in the drive/library as it may end up with the job either queued asking for a new tape or if it can it will overwrite an available tape removing any data on the tape selected in the process.

• That's what I was afraid of.  I was hoping that the last backup would just change the media set of the tape while leaving the prior backups alone.