Forum Discussion

BenGil
Level 2
14 years ago

Appending

Hi All,

Sorry if this has been asked before but i couldnt find quite what i was looking for from the search.

Basically we have a windows 2003 sbs server, and recently exchange has been giving some vss errors to do with having the advance open file system enabled when trying to backup exchange.

most of the forum guides suggest that i should have seperate backups for exchange and my main data, which in itself is fine but I would like to be able to have this all on one tape so i have something i can take off site each day.

I have not worked with append before so my question really is do I set my first job (data) to overwrite then the second job (exchange) to append or terminate and would this then mean both jobs could back up to the same tape? 

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks

• Create two seperate jobs for exchange backup and data backup. Target both the jobs at the same media set.  As you already said start first job as overwrite and second as Append only. But BE may also pick up some other appendable media in the target media set to backup second job. So, creating a partition for only these particular two jobs will be a better idea.

Regards....

7 Replies

• Create two seperate jobs for exchange backup and data backup. Target both the jobs at the same media set.  As you already said start first job as overwrite and second as Append only. But BE may also pick up some other appendable media in the target media set to backup second job. So, creating a partition for only these particular two jobs will be a better idea.

Regards....

• Hi thanks for the reply, sorry how do you mean partition? you mean sepeate media set or is this within the media set?

Thanks

• Partition means dividing the slots of the library. After creating partition you may target the jobs to inidividual partitions.

• If you absolutely want to write to only a specified tape, then you can partition your library.  If appendable media is not in the partition, then the job will fail

From Tools\Options\Media Management, you can also select "use overwriteable media in the target media set before scratch media" and BackupExec will resuse tapes in the media set before using other tapes.  With proper management of OPP and APP you can do away with partitioning if you desire

• Hi forgive me as i am new to the whole append/partition stuff.

From google when i look up partitioning and backup exec everything talks about robotic libraries however we just run a single external drive.

As far as specified tape the tape on the drive doesnt matter too much as long as both jobs go onto the one tape.

I did a test earlier with two seperate jobs one 10 mins after the other both backing up to same tape and seemed to work, the ultimate outcome being as long as a tape is in the drive for the evening both jobs get done to that one tape as long as it doesnt become full and spit out.

bit of a noob when it comes with this stuff, been using BE for years but only on a basic level.

THanks

• If you are using a standalone tape drive, configuring both jobs accordingly will be sufficient. First one to overwrite and next to append.  

Peartitioning will be required only if you are using robotic tape library.

Regards....

• Make sure that the AP of the targeted media set is long enough so that when the second job starts, the tape can still be appended to.