Forum Discussion

12 years ago

Backup Exec 2012 open questions

Hi at all

I have two questions for which I have not found any answer...

1. How can I change the overwrite protection for "backup to disk" files in Backup Exec 2012?

2. What is the Symantec recommended best practice for the block level size on a backup storage in Backup Exec 2012?

Thanks for any help.

• Verbatim response to your second query -

The default is the preferred block size.

Some storage devices provide better performance when larger block sizes are used. The preferred block size can range from 512 bytes to 64 kilobytes or larger. If you use a storage device that supports larger block sizes, you can change the block size. However, if the option to change the block size is unavailable, you must configure the device to use a larger size.

See the manufacturer's documentation for help in configuring the device.

Backup Exec does not ensure that the requested block size is supported by the storage device. If the requested block size is not supported, it defaults to its standard block size.

If the device does not support block size configuration, this option is unavailable.

And in response to your first query -

There isn't any explicit "overwrite protection" setting for Disk Storage in BE 2012 & the only option is for long you want to keep your backup sets on disk before they are deleted...And this is specified in the backup job properties...(conversely in prev versions of BE, this 'setting' was applied to the media sets container)..After specifying the above setting, other options available are to delete the backup sets on-demand to free space or use the retain option to keep the backup sets longer...

6 Replies

• Hi,

1. Go to your media set and change it there. It doesn't matter if you're backing up to tape, dedupe folder, or normal B2D...those settings are governed by what the media set configuration is set too.

2. Default is 64k. The minute you set this higher, you're going to get a warning that setting it higher might lead to a situation where you can't restore data as it will possibly corrupt. This is a setting you need to play around with. Change the setting, run a backup and see if you can restore your data.

Thanks!

• Hi Craig

1. wbe aware that we run Backup Exec 2012... "Media Set" doesn't exist anymore....

2. Playing arround with this isn't a solution....

• Check: Storage --> Tape/Disk Cartridge Media Sets & Vaults --> All Media Sets.

You can make the change there...

• As this media is managed by DLM, if you want to remove the backup sets early and not wait for your original retention setting then as far as I know your only option is to drill down through (open details of) the storage device until you can select Backup Sets and then right click on the affected set (using dates to work it out) and select delete  - this will remove the disk files straight away rather than changing the retention period.

• ...playing around with it might not be seen as a solution, but your storage (manufacturer, type, speed, backup environment etc) is different to mine and my results might not necessarily be the same as yours.

Hence making changes to see what the best setup is for performance.

• Verbatim response to your second query -

The default is the preferred block size.

Some storage devices provide better performance when larger block sizes are used. The preferred block size can range from 512 bytes to 64 kilobytes or larger. If you use a storage device that supports larger block sizes, you can change the block size. However, if the option to change the block size is unavailable, you must configure the device to use a larger size.

See the manufacturer's documentation for help in configuring the device.

Backup Exec does not ensure that the requested block size is supported by the storage device. If the requested block size is not supported, it defaults to its standard block size.

If the device does not support block size configuration, this option is unavailable.

And in response to your first query -

There isn't any explicit "overwrite protection" setting for Disk Storage in BE 2012 & the only option is for long you want to keep your backup sets on disk before they are deleted...And this is specified in the backup job properties...(conversely in prev versions of BE, this 'setting' was applied to the media sets container)..After specifying the above setting, other options available are to delete the backup sets on-demand to free space or use the retain option to keep the backup sets longer...