Forum Discussion

Sharanjit
Level 3
14 years ago

DLTtape VS1 only showing 39.4GB total capacity

I inherited a old 2003 server running Backup Exec 9.00 Rev 4454. Backups are running but lately i've been running out of space (usually around 90GB). I am using DLTtape VS1 with a Dell DLT VS160 drive. According to the specs it should have an uncompressed capacity of 80GB but i am only seeing a total capacity of 39.4GB. I use hardware compression and get about 2:1 compression. I realize it is an old system but the owners are reluctant to upgrade so i'm stuck for now. Any ideas on whats wrong with my setup?

Thanks,

Jit.

8 Replies

• I did try reformatting the tape and adding it back to the media set but still got a total capacity of 39.4GB. In fact, all the tapes i have now show a total capacity of 39.4GB. I do have some older tapes (6mths or more) which show a total capacity of 75.8GB but i no longer use them due to bad blocks.

Jit.

• Move 1 of the tape to the retired media and then delete it from there, perform an inventory and

then check the capacity of the tape.

Note: You will lose the data once you move the tape to the retired media.

• No luck. I just moved one of my monthly backups to retired media and deleted it. I performed an inventory but the tape still showed a total capacity of 39.4GB. I'm gonna use it for tonights backup anyways. 

• Are you using Symantec Drivers or Dell drivers?  Try switching

Are you curent on firmware and drivers for the controller card?

If you shut down all Backup Exec services and run an NT backup job, how much can you get on a tape?

(f you want to, you can upgrade your v9.0 to v9.1 (4691) + Sp5 for free.  One of the stablest builds Veritas ever brought out - tho both v9.0 and v9.1 are now End-of-Life.  Probabaly won't affect this problem tho )

• Ken,

we are using Symantec drivers but i'll try the Veritas ones.

How do i check the firmware and driver for the controller card?

I tried using NTbackup but kept getting a "Required Media Missing" error. NTBackup does not seem to be recognizing the tape drive.

Do you know if the upgrade to v9.1 requires a reboot? If yes, i'll have to wait till the weekend.

Thanks,

Jit.

• How do i check the firmware and driver for the controller card?

Check the Windows Device Manager for driver  You can get both current versions from the controller manufacturer's web site

Do you know if the upgrade to v9.1 requires a reboot? If yes, i'll have to wait till the weekend.

I believe so. 

NTBackup does not seem to be recognizing the tape drive.

Very strange. If NTbackup can't see the drive, I'm surprised that BackupExec can

• NTBackup does not seem to be recognizing the tape drive.

Very strange. If NTbackup can't see the drive, I'm surprised that BackupExec can.

yeah,Yeah, i'm begining to suspect the drivers. I'll let you know once i get a chance to update them.

Jit.