Forum Discussion

smithev
Level 3
4 years ago

Help with Backup Exec 2012 error: Failed to log on to Microsoft Windows

Hi,

Trying to recover some data for my employer that went out of business some time ago  but for legal reasons we need to retrieve some data. The servers aren't connected as they were when in operation. I have access to the backup server and some storage where the backups are saved. But when I try any restore job, I get the failed to log on to MS Windows error. I have local admin credentials but I'm at a loss here. I'd appreciate any help with this matter. Can't call for support as this product is at end of life and our service contract expired.

Please adavise.

Thank you.

10 Replies

smithev
      Level 3
      I'm attaching some screenshots of the error messages. I'm not sure if there are any windows services that's preventing me from authentication? I can start all backup exec services with the local admin account. I can't seem to browse to a location where I want to recover some files. When I try to click browse, it brings up his error message. I just can't seem to use any user account to authenticate.
        CraigV

So BE uses a domain account with domain admin rights at a bare minimum. Local admin accounts do work, but are discouraged.

Are you sure that in this case you used a local admin for the BESA? If not, I'd try using an account with domain admin rights, and then use BEUtility.exe to change the BESA to use this account. If the services aren't starting up, this might do the trick an allow you to get to the backups.