Forum Discussion

m_techguy
Level 4
15 years ago

Media overwrite troubles

Hi all,
I have 5 slots in my changer, I created 5 media sets (m,t,w,t,f) labeled this weeks tapes and dragged and dropped them into the corresponding media sets, My problem is that the backup jobs, lets say from tuesday.. overwirte into the next media set halfway through the backup! im positive that the media had space on it b/c i just labeled it.

is there any way to have BE ONLY use media in a specific set for that nights backup without wandering into other sets regardless of anything? (kind of like arcserve had it)

techguy
  •  Hello techguy,
    In the job definition, you must explicitly set the "Media Set" and "Device" destination.  You have to create a partition for each slot in your changer (check in help), and then explicitly set the destination "Device" to be the one slot for that day, and then set the "Media Set" for that job also, otherwise it will use all slots (and media sets) and not discriminate between the ones you have set up.

You really probably only need one Media set.  The main reason for having different media sets is to set different overwrite and append protection times.  You really probably only need to set the destination, and not the media set on each job.

Harry

3 Replies

•  Hello techguy,
    In the job definition, you must explicitly set the "Media Set" and "Device" destination.  You have to create a partition for each slot in your changer (check in help), and then explicitly set the destination "Device" to be the one slot for that day, and then set the "Media Set" for that job also, otherwise it will use all slots (and media sets) and not discriminate between the ones you have set up.

You really probably only need one Media set.  The main reason for having different media sets is to set different overwrite and append protection times.  You really probably only need to set the destination, and not the media set on each job.

Harry
  •  Did the tape run out of space? Are you overwriting or appending? If the tape gets full, it will look for another tape to add the rest of the backup.

Mark
  • Hello,

We need to partition the Slots and assign the jobs accordingly.
    Example : Monday : Slot1, tuesday : Slot2 and so on...

the Monday job will only pickup the TAPE from Slot1 and if the tape is overwrite protected the job will not run and will as you to insert an overwritable media.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/206843
    How to partition and manage an Autoloader or a Robotic Library using Backup Exec 10.x, 11.x and 12.x

Hope this helps...