Forum Discussion

jermstur
Level 3
12 years ago

new storage server migration

Hi, I'll make this short and sweet.

We have Backup exec 2012 installed on server A.  Backups are saved on Server B which we are replacing with Server C.

What is the easiest way to move 200 user backup files to server C?

Thank you, I appriciate the help.

• Put all backup jobs on hold

Setup Server C and add it as a storage device into Backup Exec

Stop the Backup Exec services once you have the new storage device configured (and take a copy of the backup exec database files (just in case)

Copy all the bkf files and IMG folders (but not the config files found in the same path as the bkf files) from the storage device on Server B to Server C (keep the locations of the img folders and bkf files the same as you copy them)

Turn off server B (or disconnect it from network)   this one is so you don't end up with 2 sets of the same backup media online at the same time

Start the BE services on the server

Inventory the storage device on Server C (no need to run a catalog as you should still have them, the inventory just makes sure BE knows where the media now is, compared with where it was)

Reconfigure your backup jobs to use the device on Server C

Do some testing (including at least one test restore from your old data)

If all looks good delete the device on server B from within Backup Exec.

4 Replies

• Put all backup jobs on hold

Setup Server C and add it as a storage device into Backup Exec

Stop the Backup Exec services once you have the new storage device configured (and take a copy of the backup exec database files (just in case)

Copy all the bkf files and IMG folders (but not the config files found in the same path as the bkf files) from the storage device on Server B to Server C (keep the locations of the img folders and bkf files the same as you copy them)

Turn off server B (or disconnect it from network)   this one is so you don't end up with 2 sets of the same backup media online at the same time

Start the BE services on the server

Inventory the storage device on Server C (no need to run a catalog as you should still have them, the inventory just makes sure BE knows where the media now is, compared with where it was)

Reconfigure your backup jobs to use the device on Server C

Do some testing (including at least one test restore from your old data)

If all looks good delete the device on server B from within Backup Exec.

• Thank you for the quick replys, I'll give Colin's a try as it seems cleaner and quicker since there are more than 200 backup jobs :)

thanks again.

• One thing I shold state - don't use my method if Deduplication is involved (instead of standard disk storage)