Forum Discussion

alandavid
Level 4
15 years ago

Restoring mailbox from a server that no longer exists

BE 9 4454.
I have a tape that was used to backup the mailboxes from an Ex5.5 server named "Foo"
"Foo" has since been retired and replaced with an Exchange2000 server named "Bar"
Person X left the company sometime since the backup, long enough ago that his domain account has been deleted.
I figured I could recreate his account in the domain (or at least create a new account with the same name!) Then run a restore job, with an Exchange redirect to the new server and mailbox.

What get is the following error:
Job ended: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 at 11:04:01 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error code: a000848c HEX
Final error description: Unable to attach to one of the drives.

Final error category: Resource Errors

It looks like it is trying to restore to "Foo" and not "Bar"

Anyone have any ideas?

Alan
  • Alan,
    I don't think you can restore an Exchange 5.5 mailbox to Exchange 2000, but I could be wrong - never had to do it before, and it just doesn't sound right.

That error points to a security error.
    Create a new account called - say mailboxrestore - create an exchange mailbox too.
    open up this mailbox and send and email from it - so it will create the mailbox itself.

Then make sure you can see this mailbox in the backup selections - if you can't, there is no way it is going to restore to it.

Next create a redirect restore job of the mailbox to the new servername and mailbox name.
    In the selection list only select Top of Information Store -don't worry about the other folders it backs up.

See how you go with this

Brian

2 Replies

• Alan,
    I don't think you can restore an Exchange 5.5 mailbox to Exchange 2000, but I could be wrong - never had to do it before, and it just doesn't sound right.

That error points to a security error.
    Create a new account called - say mailboxrestore - create an exchange mailbox too.
    open up this mailbox and send and email from it - so it will create the mailbox itself.

Then make sure you can see this mailbox in the backup selections - if you can't, there is no way it is going to restore to it.

Next create a redirect restore job of the mailbox to the new servername and mailbox name.
    In the selection list only select Top of Information Store -don't worry about the other folders it backs up.

See how you go with this

Brian
  • Hi,

The other option is to duplicate that original backup to disk. Once done, you will see your *.edb, *.stm etc. files.
    From there you can use something like Exmerge to get the data out into a *.pst file. It's at least portable then.

Laters!