Forum Discussion

ianbd
Level 2
10 years ago

VCS with GCO\Windows2012\VMware 5.1\IBM SVC SAN based mirroring

We are looking at potentially using VCS for a cross site DR project and have been told by a solution provider that we can use the GCO option in VCS to allow us to have Windows 2012, running on VMware...
    10 years ago

You would need the SVC agent https://sort.symantec.com/agents/detail/915.

I have used this with Windows VCS on phyical servers and so this would work fine with RDM, but don't see how it can work with vmdk.

Whether it works with vmdk is more of a question for IBM as the VCS agent uses SSH to communicate with the IBM SVC so has attribute:

GroupName

Name of the replication relationship or consistency group that is managed by the agent.

So normally the GroupName would be a consistency group containing the LUNs that are replicated.  As the consistency group is an object on the array I can't see how it could be vmdk aware so I think you would have to use RDMs  - if your Solution Provider reckons it can use vmdks, then ask how as this is not a question about VCS - this is a question about "can IBM SVC replicate vmdks and I dont see how it can.

VCS/GCO just automates a set of commands when it fails over, so if there is a manual way to fail over a vmdk replicated with IBM SVC then you can probably do with VCS, but if you can't do manually, then you can't do in VCS/GCO either.

This would work with Symantec VVR as this replicates at the host level so can use vmdk (or you can use Vxvm mirroing if sites are close together - i.e less than 50/80km)

Mike

10 years ago

Just to add, if you had a LUN which contained exclusively the vmdk's for the nodes you are clustering, you might be able to get it to work with some custom scripting to attach and detach LUNs to VMWare, but even if this worked, I don't see the point as if you have a LUN exclusivly for your cluster, then much easy to just present it as RDM than put vmdks on it and try and fudge a solution.

Mike