Forum Discussion

smlopes
Level 5
13 years ago

Anyone using the FederatedSearchMaxItems ini setting?

Anyone using the FederatedSearchMaxItems ini setting? How do I determine a good number that won't impact server performance? Is there a rule of thumb on which number to start with? 2000? 3000?

We have roughly 4000 archives, 1 Ev server and 1 SQL server.

Thanks for any input on this.

• I recently pushed these settings pretty hard.

I should first drop the line, the design of Search.asp application was to be that of a users search against tehir personal archive. 99.99999999% of people asking to extend the functionality of search.asp are attempting to use it as a legal search or something like that. . .and that was never teh design. DA is much better suited to performing this and if you use it you will not be sorry.

The specific limitations of these apps do very somewhat on your system's config and resoource allocation. I have totally seen customer's extend this to the point that tehy pushed their server over the edge.

Like Andrew staetd, assessing your customer's needs is the way to go. From your initial posting I belive you are not seeking this from a users perspective but rather from an Admin perspective. . misusing it as discussed above.

I should also mention that this setting does not relate to the number of archives. . as you staetd. . but rather the number of messages returned through the search results.

I can tell you that from my expirence, and regardless of your server's capibilities you will have issues adding more than a realitively small number (1000 if I can recall. . .maybe 500) items to a basket at a time. Also once your basket gets over 10k items, you loose functionality and formatting of the HTML of the basket page. With all of this said.... it is possible to restore many many times past the default  at a given time. As you restore more, keep an eye on your queues to make sure you are not cloging your Message queues and keep in mind that support will be limited to null if you ahve an issue.

I cannot express enough how much you should not do anything to this extreeme . . even if you think you know what you are doing. I was in a bad spot and had little recourse and tested extensively and really really know what I am doing (or so I think).

5 Replies

• what do your users demand? or do they even care? if it is a big deal to them then maybe consider using Virtual Vault for this. the impact of displaying more pages is really about heavier index usage the more people that hit AE at the same time.

• Start with 1000 (the default) and then adjust up or down dependant on server performance.

• I recently pushed these settings pretty hard.

I should first drop the line, the design of Search.asp application was to be that of a users search against tehir personal archive. 99.99999999% of people asking to extend the functionality of search.asp are attempting to use it as a legal search or something like that. . .and that was never teh design. DA is much better suited to performing this and if you use it you will not be sorry.

The specific limitations of these apps do very somewhat on your system's config and resoource allocation. I have totally seen customer's extend this to the point that tehy pushed their server over the edge.

Like Andrew staetd, assessing your customer's needs is the way to go. From your initial posting I belive you are not seeking this from a users perspective but rather from an Admin perspective. . misusing it as discussed above.

I should also mention that this setting does not relate to the number of archives. . as you staetd. . but rather the number of messages returned through the search results.

I can tell you that from my expirence, and regardless of your server's capibilities you will have issues adding more than a realitively small number (1000 if I can recall. . .maybe 500) items to a basket at a time. Also once your basket gets over 10k items, you loose functionality and formatting of the HTML of the basket page. With all of this said.... it is possible to restore many many times past the default  at a given time. As you restore more, keep an eye on your queues to make sure you are not cloging your Message queues and keep in mind that support will be limited to null if you ahve an issue.

I cannot express enough how much you should not do anything to this extreeme . . even if you think you know what you are doing. I was in a bad spot and had little recourse and tested extensively and really really know what I am doing (or so I think).