Forum Discussion

scandh
Level 2
13 years ago

Enterprise Vault Secondary Storage / Migrating Old Archived Emails

Hi Everyone,

I'm having difficulty finding the exact information I need, and Symantec keeps referring me to a basic KB article regarding secondary storage here: http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO57117

Here's what I'm trying to accomplish:

I'd like to offload vaulted emails from a certain year, say 2007, and prior from my Enterprise Vault 9.x server.  Can anyone tell me the correct process and if space will actually be freed up when doing so?  My concern is that I offload items from the Vault server, but they stay in the .cab files on the hard drive.  I'd like to move them to tape, specifically using BackupExec.

• I'd still say no, especially if you're on EV9 and want to go to EV10, because to get the most out of EV10 you would want to convert your indexes to the new indexing platform, which will recall all your files back to disk to access the items and re-index them.

This means if you migrate 1TB to tape, then it will need to recall 1TB back to disk and not only will it be slow, you may need to haev manual intervention to get the tapes that are requested by each recall request, and then you will need 1TB of disk space to get the items back for it to reindex

So any time you need to rebuild an index, you will need to get access to the tapes, if you give any one Vault Cache and Virtual Vault, it will start recalling from tape, if you have any legal discovery and exports you will need to get access to the tape when you do the export etc and it could slow the process down to the point where your legal teams will miss deadlines.

In all honesty your best bet would be to buy cheap secondary storage (like a JBOD solution) and push the items to there, or like michel stated, a USB drive which would be quicker than the tape (not a recommended solution, but i'd sooner do that than tape any day of the week)

Plus if you want to back out of the migration it is really painful with no well documented way to get out of it, and its only been till the newer versions of NBU that you could actually recall all the EV items back to disk, and it still needs some manipulation within EV to get it so it doesnt recall it from tape anymore

6 Replies

• my advice is DO NOT DO IT, not sure you can tape migration with BE, you can with NetBackup
    But seriously, i would suggest testing it before doing anything, because imo tape migration is possibly one of the worst things i've ever seen, especially when you do index rebuilds, it becomes slow and cumbersome

• Yeah dude, save yourself that hassle... buy a 2 TB USB Disk, and you'll be better off than using Tape ;)

• Okay, let me rephrase...I want to migrate archived emails from 2007 and older to tape, I'm not concerned with users' accessing them unless we have to restore items for someone. Is migration to tape good in this scenario?

• I'd still say no, especially if you're on EV9 and want to go to EV10, because to get the most out of EV10 you would want to convert your indexes to the new indexing platform, which will recall all your files back to disk to access the items and re-index them.

This means if you migrate 1TB to tape, then it will need to recall 1TB back to disk and not only will it be slow, you may need to haev manual intervention to get the tapes that are requested by each recall request, and then you will need 1TB of disk space to get the items back for it to reindex

So any time you need to rebuild an index, you will need to get access to the tapes, if you give any one Vault Cache and Virtual Vault, it will start recalling from tape, if you have any legal discovery and exports you will need to get access to the tape when you do the export etc and it could slow the process down to the point where your legal teams will miss deadlines.

In all honesty your best bet would be to buy cheap secondary storage (like a JBOD solution) and push the items to there, or like michel stated, a USB drive which would be quicker than the tape (not a recommended solution, but i'd sooner do that than tape any day of the week)

Plus if you want to back out of the migration it is really painful with no well documented way to get out of it, and its only been till the newer versions of NBU that you could actually recall all the EV items back to disk, and it still needs some manipulation within EV to get it so it doesnt recall it from tape anymore

• There are several storage platforms that you can migrated the .cab files off to  and retain some access for users.  My recommendation would be to use the least expensive disk-based platform you can find and migrate the .cabs to that platform. Tape is functional in theory, but extremely problematic in actual management of the data.