Forum Discussion

Rob_Vollum
Level 4
15 years ago

EV 2007; SIS granularity; Centera sharing; Share archived items

Hi folks,

I need some clarity on a couple of important issues, relating to EV 2007. I know that much of what I'm asking is different in EV 8 SP4.

1) In EV 2007, what is the granularity of SIS? The doc (e.g. the EV 2007 Introduction_and_planning.pdf on page 147 states that to enable SIS, "items must be in the same  vault store and Sharing Archive Items must be enabled on the partition properties."

However, several people I trust tell me that the SIS sharing granularity in EV 2007 (and prior) is the vault store partition, not the vault store. I've done a small experiment that seems to indicate that the granularity is the vault store partition, but I could have done something wrong. Which is correct?

2) Again in EV 2007, for a vault store partition that is on a Centera device, what specifically does the "Share archive items" checkbox on the vault store properties page do? My understanding is that the Centera does its own SIS, independent of EV. Assume that I have a vault store with a single Centera Vault Store Partition. What happens when the check box is on? What happens when it's off? Is it possible to save two different copies of the same PowerPoint file (e.g.) to a single Centera vault store partition? I thought that the point of the Centera and its CAS model was to make sure there was only one copy.

Thanks in advance,

Rob
  • "This option applies to partitions for EMC Centera only. Select this check box to make Enterprise Vault take advantage of the sharing capabilities of the EMC Centera device. If you choose this option, Enterprise Vault stores the shareable parts of a saveset as separate data blobs, so that the EMC Centera device is able to share them."

Basically what it means is that this must be enabled for Centera to perform it's  SIS

Here is the EMC Symantec Best Practice whitepaper regarding EV and Centera
    http://www.emc.com/collateral/hardware/white-papers/h6790-symantec-enterprise-vault-centera-wp.pdf

8 Replies

• Point 1 As far as i know the sharing is at the Vault Store Group level. You enable sharing at each vault store partition so you can decide if it will be shareable but the SIS is at the Vault Store Group and applies to any Vault Store partition enabled.

To address point 2 SIS on EV has no effect on Centera, Centera does it's own SIS and any sharing settings set on EV are ignored

• for point 1, you are correct.  SIS is at the Vault Store Partition level.  This changed in EV 8.
  • Thanks for the quick reply, guys. I was pretty confident that pre-EV 8 the SIS granularity was at the partition level but needed to make sure.

I'm still troubled by the "Share archived items" box on the pre-EV 8 Centera vault store partition properties. Is that box a complete do-nothing box? For example, if I check it won't EV try to do its SIS stuff in creating the savesets which it does independent of storage, so that EV would be handing different stuff to Centera based on that checkbox? Ultimately I realize that Centera would store just one copy of (e.g.) a PPT file. But would EV's behavior be different (in the savesets that it generates) based on the state of that check box?

Also: in upgrading EV 2007 to EV 8, the doc says that if that "Share Archived Items" box is checked in EV 2007, then the upgraded Centera partition would have the "Enable device-level sharing" box turned on after the upgrade. if "Share Archived Items" is off in EV 2007, then "Enable device-level sharing" would be off after the upgrade. That implies to me that it must do something. Thoughts on that?

And finally: I thought Centera always did device level sharing. So what does that option in EV 8 (to turn on/off device-level sharing) actually *DO*!

Thanks!

Rob

• "This option applies to partitions for EMC Centera only. Select this check box to make Enterprise Vault take advantage of the sharing capabilities of the EMC Centera device. If you choose this option, Enterprise Vault stores the shareable parts of a saveset as separate data blobs, so that the EMC Centera device is able to share them."

Basically what it means is that this must be enabled for Centera to perform it's  SIS

Here is the EMC Symantec Best Practice whitepaper regarding EV and Centera
    http://www.emc.com/collateral/hardware/white-papers/h6790-symantec-enterprise-vault-centera-wp.pdf

• Remember SIS for EV is ignored completely once you store on a Centera device. Just turn on the device level sharing or you dont get any SIS benefits on the Centera either
  • Thank you! Something like that best practice whitepaper was what I was looking for but couldn't find.

I was laboring under the mis-impression that we could somehow turn off device-level sharing on the Centera, which I didn't think was possible. It gets configured that way by EMC and that's it.

Y'know I read that part but it just didn't hit me the right way the first time. What this says to me now is that enabling that check box means that EV will pay attention and construct its blobs in such a way that they will be seen as SIS-able by the Centera. This makes much more sense.
  • If you have the answer to your question please mark the appropriate answer as the solution