Forum Discussion

rmmcore
Level 2
11 years ago

EV archive entire mailbox error

Hey all, EV is changing the date of mail in the inbox to the oldest date and archiving entire inbox. any solutions comes to mind on this?

Thx--

TM

• Hi,

The policy setting is worked when schedule archiving is running. If user try to archive any email manually and if that it is less than 1 month , it will archive. The manual archive is working and it will not check the policy setting to do not archive item less than 1 month. Manual archive will archive the item from Inbox as well.

8 Replies

• Hi,

Do yo mean that you have set Age based archiving but EV is not abiding by your settings?

In other words you have said to archive everything over 3months (for example) but EV is archiving EVERYTHING in the mailbox?

Or do you mean that EV is LITERALLY changing the dates on the mails within the mailbox itself?

If EV is changing the dates, are you looking at Modified dates or Recieved dates?

Best thing to do is gather a Dtrace of the Run, even a Run Now on a mailbox will be fine, Dtrace ArchiveTask, as that will show you what EV is finding each time it hits a message and WHY it thinks it should be archived.

• The date of an email is changed by EV in only manner when the email is archived and converted into shortcut. That time it only change the Modified Date of that email and not the receieved or created date.

An email always have 3 dates, Created, Recieved and Modified. Many a times, creation and recieved date of an email is same, the modified date keeps upadating to the date when email was replied, forwarded or archived etc.

Have you restored those emails back from archive to mailbox? And check if IgnoreEVDates registry is set on EV Server.

• Do u mean to say the shortcut of mailbox are getting update during archiving task run? I had similar problem in past which was happening due to one of the registry in EV server, Do you have any registry “RestoreShortcutBody” in “HKLM\KVS\Enteprisevault\agents”. If you have then delete it immediately and restart EV admin service.

• Hi,

After Email is archived by EV it only change the modified date and not change the receive date.

I think in Outlook you are looking for modified date / might be you apply some filter in outlook.

• If Enterprise Vault is archiving the entire mailbox, I'd check the Mailbox Policy > Archiving Rules. Double check your archiving strategy: 'Based on Age', 'Based on quota' or 'Based on age an quota'. Look at the Age Based settings if you are using 1 or 3.

If you are using quotas, you need to take a look at the Quota Based section. If you have 85% that means that EV would archive the mailbox until reaches 15% of space available based on the Exchange quota. For instance, if your Exchange quota is 5GB, EV would archive the mailbox until there is 0.75GB of space available (15% of 5GB). However, if you set the quota in the EV archiving policy to 5%, then EV would archive almost all the mailbox until 95% of free space is achieve. Using the same example, for 5GB quota in Exchange, EV would archive the mailbox until there is 4.75GB of space available (95% of 5GB).

Also, EV updates the Modified Date when creates a shortcut. The received date would be the same.

I hope this helps.

• Thanks everyone for your quick help. I had to call in support since my shift was almost done. I ended up editing the policy to no archive items less then 1 month old. my problem with this is it was working fine before the override. did a manuel archive and the inbox items were not archived.

hopefully this worked...

• Hi,

The policy setting is worked when schedule archiving is running. If user try to archive any email manually and if that it is less than 1 month , it will archive. The manual archive is working and it will not check the policy setting to do not archive item less than 1 month. Manual archive will archive the item from Inbox as well.

• Glad it appears to have been fixed rmmcore, if you do need further help just let us know.