Forum Discussion

11 years ago

Exchange Calendar Quandary

We are looking at 3rd party Microsoft Exchange archive solutions, such as Enterprise Vault, as a way to help our users keep tight compliance with our mailbox quotas while still allowing them to keep extensive calendar histories.  The business goal is to encourage users to file standard email objects and attachments in our well developed, and customized for our industry, document management solution.  Exchange mailbox quotas cannot distinguish between calendar objects and mail objects, hence our dilemma.  I have read that EV can archive calendar objects, but I believe I also read that it does not stub them (i.e. the original remains the same size).  If that is the case then does anyone know of a Symantec product that might help with this issue? Or am I incorrect about the ability and configuration options of the EV product?

Your comments and assistance with this query would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you all in advance.

• EV doesn't create shortcuts for calendar items, but it will remove any attachments after archiving calendar items, meeting requests and contacts. So, you will recover some space back to the Exchange Mailbox Database. By default, this option is set to On:

c1.JPG

In addition, by default Calendar items are not archived. Thus, you need to select the IPM Class in the mailbox policy:

c2.JPG

You might want to take a look at our partner solutions to verify if there is a solution that you can integrate with Enterprise Vault:

http://partnernet.symantec.com/portal/faces/products/enterprise-vault?_adf.ctrl-state=qo3sojcn6_4&_afrLoop=3190643043669000

I hope this helps.

3 Replies

• Enterprise vault can be used to archive entire mailbox as rule defined in mailbox policy, which will be applicable for all the folders and additionally you can create EVPM script to have customized rules for calander folder.

Example:-

Archive complete mailbox based on age (XX days/month) or quota (% of mailbox size) rule and create shortcut, delete shortcut after XX days/year in order to further reduce mailbox size.

Apply EVPM script on Calander folder where original should not be deleted & don't delete shortcut. (calander item does not have shortcut so item look similar as without archiving but attachment would strip as mailbox policy policy (advance settings)).

Related link.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/help-how-setup-evpm-script-apply-different-mailbox-policy-specific-folders
    http://thingsilearnedtoday.net/2011/07/11/enabling-specific-folders-for-archiving/

• EV doesn't create shortcuts for calendar items, but it will remove any attachments after archiving calendar items, meeting requests and contacts. So, you will recover some space back to the Exchange Mailbox Database. By default, this option is set to On:

c1.JPG

In addition, by default Calendar items are not archived. Thus, you need to select the IPM Class in the mailbox policy:

c2.JPG

You might want to take a look at our partner solutions to verify if there is a solution that you can integrate with Enterprise Vault:

http://partnernet.symantec.com/portal/faces/products/enterprise-vault?_adf.ctrl-state=qo3sojcn6_4&_afrLoop=3190643043669000

I hope this helps.

• Hi,

EV is archiving the Calendar item after providing the check mark for Message Class "IPM.Appointment" from User Mailbox. Once it Calendar item is archive it reduce the size of the item. For only calendar item user is unable to see the change in outlook means they are unable to see whether that calendar item is archived or not. If they delete the archived calendar item and if policy setting to delete only shortcut then you will able to restore or retrive that item using Archive Explorer and you can also control whether user can delete or not archived item for compliance purpose.

If you get in touch with Symantec partner they will help you with your doubts.