Forum Discussion

13 years ago

Issue with Deployment Scvanner and SQL

Hi All

I have busy with an EV 7.5 sp3 upgrade to version 8 and then 9 .Its a small site in Mauritius of 400 users

I have noticed something strange with this installation . Whoever did the initial installation installed SQL on the EV box but they used a DNS alias name to connect to the actual Host name of the EV box for SQL . So for example the EV server is called " Server1 " but  in the registry and ODBC all SQL references point at a DNS alias called "EVSQL" which points at "Server1" through DNS

When I run deployment scanner it passes all permission checks but fails to find any databaes on either Server1 or EVSQL

I am concerned about Collation and EV actually seeing the databases during the upgrade if it fails with Deployment Scanner

Any ideas why the Deployment Scanner can't see any databases ?

• Hi Guys

Thanks for the help ,the issue is solved .The error was being caused by the fact that in SQL the  VSA Login wasn't associated with Master Database anymore as its Default Database

When I changed this back the DS worked fine

6 Replies

• Did you add the EV service account to SQL to give the proper SQL permissions ?

• I assume it's been archiving ok which means the DNS alias is okay and the issue is more than likely permissions as mentioned above.

The EV service account needs the DB Creator role access in SQL.

You do have the option of dtracing the deployment scanner to see in more detail what the cause is.

• Hi Guys

Thanks for the help ,the issue is solved .The error was being caused by the fact that in SQL the  VSA Login wasn't associated with Master Database anymore as its Default Database

When I changed this back the DS worked fine

• It indeed sounds like the rights for the account are not correct. If you check the Installing adn Configuring guide for version 8 (as I assume that is the deploymentscanner you run), check the steps that descrbe the SQL login account. sometimes the account is created as described, and when everything is setup and running, only the necessary rights are given.

See 'Creating a SQL Login' in chapter 3

ps. Probably an on-site visit needed! :-)

• Gert I think you need to come to Mauritius with me ?

Damn ,the problem is solved ....next time :)