Forum Discussion

11 years ago

Item in Outbox being archived

We are doing a migration from Exchange 2007 to 2010.

We are finding that items in the Outbox are being archived, I've honesty never come across this before. Is this expected behavior? Will EV archive the Outbox just like any other folder?

I assume so and if this is happening at a higher rate after a mailbox has been moved because items are staying in the Outbox for a longer period of time?

Any advice/guidance appreciated.

• Hi,

That's odd. Why would you have emails on the Outbox folder? I guess Enterprise Vault would archive this folder just like another folder. Looking at the adv settings under the mailbox policy, there are special options for Deleted Items amd Draft Items, but I do not see anything for the Outbox. Thus, EV would archive this folder just like another one.

You can exclude this folder from the archiving process with an EVPM script:

How to turn off archiving for a sub folder within the inbox using Enterprise Vault Policy Manager (EVPM)
    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH35607

I hope this helps.

• Is this happening for all items & all user on Exchange 2010 for outbox folder?

It could be the user's draft an email and click on sent while they are offline, during offline mode if they modify the email and just save without clicking on 'sent' option then there are chance of email remain in outbox. EV will archive these unless we don't have stop archiving from draft item, I honestly have not tested, will check it as soon as get time.

Meanwhile you can stop archiving from outbox as Gabe suggested by running EVPM script.

11 Replies