Forum Discussion

19 years ago

Problem running EVPM with Zap

I'm trying to zap a couple mailboxes that we deleted archives for. When sync runs we get the following error:

Event Type:Warning
Event Source:Enterprise Vault
Event Category:Archive Task
Event ID:2270
Date:2/27/2006
Time:12:06:33 AM
User:N/A
Computer:BCCKVS0101
Description:
A queued operation exceeded the retry count and has been discarded

Enterprise Vault Archiving Task for BCCEX0101

m_pIExchangeSynch->SynchronizeMailboxEntryEx(LegacyMailboxDn = "/o=COLLIER COUNTY GOV./ou=ITDOMAIN/cn=ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES DIVISION/cn=INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY DEPARTMENT/cn=2000MBX",
adMbxDn = "CN=2000mbx,OU=Special Accounts,OU=Information Technology,OU=Administrative Services Division,DC=bcc,DC=colliergov,DC=net",
adMsgStoreDn = "CN=NEW_CH,CN=SG_3,CN=InformationStore,CN=BCCEX0101,CN=Servers,CN=ITDOMAIN,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=Collier County Gov,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=bcc,DC=colliergov,DC=net",
SynchModes = "3")
HRESULT: 0xC0040AD8

I've configured my zap.ini as follows:

DirectoryComputerName = BCCKVS0101
Sitename = BCC Vault

DistinguishedName = /o=COLLIER COUNTY GOV/ou=ITDOMAIN/cn=RECIPIENTS/CN=2000MBX

Name = Mailboxroot
Zap = True

and run it with the following cmd syntax:

evpm -e -m -f

and receive errror:

Creating privileged MAPI session ...

Parsing input file: C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\zap.ini

Processing input file

Processing mailbox: /o=COLLIER COUNTY GOV/ou=ITDOMAIN/cn=RECIPIENTS/CN=2000MBX
Error - Whilst processing mailbox with dn: /o=COLLIER COUNTY GOV/ou=ITDOMAIN/cn=
RECIPIENTS/CN=2000MBX

I know the vault mbx in the evpm command is correct...if I specify an invalid one, the MAPI session fails. I also ran a verbose dtrace on EVPM while I ran it, but it doesn't give very much info. I can see if creating the temp vaultmbx MAPI profile successfully, but it's not zapping the box. Zap.ini is in UNICODE format and I've tried all variations of the DN from the 2270 event ID error.

Any help is appreciated.
  • So you have tried:

/o=COLLIER COUNTY GOV./ou=ITDOMAIN/cn=ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES
    DIVISION/cn=INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY DEPARTMENT/cn=2000MBX

Even is you zap it will still try to synch it. Can you open that Mailbox?
    In the EnterpriseVaultDirectory database you can open the ExchangeMailboxEntry table. There you can find the entry for this mailbox and see what the MbxArchivingState and MbxExchangeState is set to and let us know.

8 Replies

• Hey Brian,

Don't use the vault service mailbox. You specify the ev system mailbox.

evpm -e -m -f
  • > Hey Brian,
    >
    > Don't use the vault service mailbox. You specify the
    > ev system mailbox.
    >
    > evpm -e -m
    > -f

Sorry, I see I did type , however I am specifying the vault system mailbox. For reference, our accounts are as follows:

vaultadmin (service account)
    vaultmbx (system mailbox)

I did also try running evpm and specified smtp:vaultmbx@ but I get the same error.
  • So you have tried:

/o=COLLIER COUNTY GOV./ou=ITDOMAIN/cn=ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES
    DIVISION/cn=INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY DEPARTMENT/cn=2000MBX

Even is you zap it will still try to synch it. Can you open that Mailbox?
    In the EnterpriseVaultDirectory database you can open the ExchangeMailboxEntry table. There you can find the entry for this mailbox and see what the MbxArchivingState and MbxExchangeState is set to and let us know.
  • > So you have tried:
    >
    > /o=COLLIER COUNTY GOV./ou=ITDOMAIN/cn=ADMINISTRATIVE
    > SERVICES
    > DIVISION/cn=INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
    > DEPARTMENT/cn=2000MBX
    >
    > Even is you zap it will still try to synch it. Can
    > you open that Mailbox?
    > In the EnterpriseVaultDirectory database you can open
    > the ExchangeMailboxEntry table. There you can find
    > the entry for this mailbox and see what the
    > MbxArchivingState and MbxExchangeState is set to and
    > let us know.

Ah, I think you just figured it out. I knew it would be something simple... No, I cannot open the mailbox. Guess I should have looked there earlier.

You mentioned that it will still try to synch after zapping it...should I just delete the mailbox then if it's not needed?
  • Yes, if you do not need then I would delete it. You are probably getting errors b/c it will not open, but if you delete it on the next synch run it should get marked as deleted and not try to synch again. If you do not want to wait you can set MbxExchangeState = 1.

MbxExchangeState
    0 = NORMAL, 1 = DELETED, 2 = HIDDEN
  • Hey now...
    I've dealt with EV support twice in two days and I've been super impressed each time. Once you get to the backend support, it's usually very clueful people answering the call. The problem is in getting back there, and I know that Symantec is investing very heavily in this arena. Give'm another 3 months to do the right sort of hires and you'll see improvement.

Or hey, if you're in the Bay Area...my company is always around to help *shameless plug*.

Micah
  • > Hey now...
    > I've dealt with EV support twice in two days and
    > I've been super impressed each time. Once you get to
    > the backend support, it's usually very clueful people
    > answering the call. The problem is in getting back
    > there, and I know that Symantec is investing very
    > heavily in this arena. Give'm another 3 months to do
    > the right sort of hires and you'll see improvement.
    >
    > Or hey, if you're in the Bay Area...my company is
    > always around to help *shameless plug*.
    >
    > Micah

My experience with support goes something like this:

1.) Place support call - if its anything other than the entire system is down the call back time is "when they have time". Any time they've promised me a call back time (say 4 hours) they have not met it.

2.) Get call back from Tier 1 support and its typically either a.) after hours and i'm in the middle of driving thru traffic and can't work on the problem or b.) they wont try all numbers on file and simply leave a voicemail at the office

3.) Once finally getting in touch with support, they'll collect basic event logs, errors...maybe a dtrace.

4. Go back to step 2 and play more phone tag. It's almost like they purposely try calling me at odd hours and not try my cell phone. Since it's not the very highest serverity case, it also seems that once they can't get ahold of me once...they just move on to their other support calls and it takes a few days to get back with me.

5. Tier 1 support is exhausted and it's escalated. Now if I can actually get their backend support on the phone it's half decent...but phone tag and days in between phone calls has been a big problem for me.

Sorry...not in the bay area or I'd probably give your company a call :)