Forum Discussion

14 years ago

Arrgghh, NetBackup, SQL and Clusters - HELP!!!!

Hi

I wondering if people could share there experiences on how they have been able to overcome the following scenario in the past because i have been trying to find a suitable solution for ages and i still haven't found one!!

Scenario:

- You have 2 data centres, site A and site B

- You have a clustered SQL server in an active/passive configuration

- Active node is on site A, Pasive node is on site B (This can swap round)

You need to back this SQL server using NetBackup 7.1 and ensure data is offsite......At first sound easy but i dont think it is

To start with, you can configure a NetBackup SQL policy for the SQL cluster. However, when it comes to the storage unit selection, thats where the offsiting becomes difficult. If you know the active node is on site A, you can configure the policy with a storage unit on site B. However, if the SQL cluster fails over to site B, NetBackup is clever enough to know this but its not clever enough to change the storage unit to one on site A.

The only way i can think to resolve this would be change the policy configuration manually every time the cluster was failed over. However, in my scenario, this manual interaction is not going to be viable. Therefore, i am trying to come up with a dymanamic solution to resolve this scenario...........Has anyone been able to do this or have they have the same issue as im experiencing?

Thanks

• I have an idea - not able to test my idea, though...

Create 2 Application Backup Schedules. Call them SiteA and SiteB. Select relevant Storage Unit for each schedule.

Create a copy of the backup script on each node on local disk. Use NBSCHED keyword to specify schedule that matches site.

Extract from NBU for SQL Guide:
    NBSCHED 
    If the NetBackup policy has several Application Backup Policy schedules, use NBSCHED to select amongst them.

So, script on nodeA will be something like this:

OPERATION BACKUP
    DATABASE "xxxxxxxx"
    SQLHOST "VIRTSQL"
    NBSERVER "MASTER"
    BROWSECLIENT "VIRTSQL"
    NBSCHED "SITEA"
    MAXTRANSFERSIZE 0
    BLOCKSIZE 7
    ENDOPER TRUE

Script on nodeB:

OPERATION BACKUP