Forum Discussion

10 years ago

Backup not compleating

Hi,

I have just set up a veritas netbackup server 6.5.6 on a windows server 2k8 R2 machine.It has about 50 policies.

All backup policies are running finen except for one policy which has Client Server ABC.Client ABC has two backup policies configured of which the other policy is working fine.

The policy which is not working is taking long and is not completing.Like it keeps on running.

Detailed status tab of this policy is as below.

7/10/2015 6:52:53 PM - granted resource IBM.ULT3580-HH6.003
7/10/2015 6:52:53 PM - granted resource indelndbkp1-dlt-robot-tld-0
7/10/2015 6:52:53 PM - estimated 0 kbytes needed
7/10/2015 6:52:53 PM - started
7/10/2015 6:53:19 PM - connecting
7/10/2015 6:53:21 PM - connected; connect time: 00:00:02
7/10/2015 6:53:21 PM - begin writing
7/10/2015 7:55:26 PM - Error bpbrm(pid=6664) cannot send mail because BPCD on ABC exited with status 59: access to the client was not allowed

Current time is 13/7/15 11:48 hrs and it is still running with any intimation in "Percentage Compleate".

Please let me know what needs to be done to fix it.

Thanks

• status 59: access to the client was not allowed

Which ever server was trying to do the backup (probably indelndbkp1) does not have access, i.e. it is not listed in the client's SERVER list.

Since you say that another policy for this client works it seems a bit odd. Please post both policies by running

bppllist "policy name" -U

Also post the server list or the client

9 Replies

• Hi,

The correct server name in last line is different server XYZ.This server XYZ also has a policy configured and that policy is working fine.Dont have any idea why this new server pops up in ABC server backup activity status.

7/10/2015 7:55:26 PM - Error bpbrm(pid=6664) cannot send mail because BPCD on XYZ exited with status 59: access to the client was not allowed

Thanks

• One of 2 things: 1) Client does not have Server entry for indelndbkp1 2) Client has correct Server entry but cannot resolve server's IP address to hostname. Have you created bpcd log folder on the client as per advice in Troubleshooter button in Activity Monitor Details? bpcd log will show server's incoming IP address and client's attempt to resolve to hostname that appears in client's Server list.
  • The fact that job is hanging and not exiting with a failure is probably a bug in your old, unsupported NBU software. Double-check the backup policy. You will see ABC in Clients tab. Or XYZ? Your last post is a bit confusing.
  • status 59: access to the client was not allowed

Which ever server was trying to do the backup (probably indelndbkp1) does not have access, i.e. it is not listed in the client's SERVER list.

Since you say that another policy for this client works it seems a bit odd. Please post both policies by running

bppllist "policy name" -U

Also post the server list or the client

• Check DNS resolution and hosts files on all the machines involved. This looks like a case of NB talking to one server and recieving a response from another

• Dear All

Thanks for your update, but still issue has not been resloved.

I want to update some more point which could be feasible for you to diaganose & provide me appropriate solution for the same.

Now I am able to connect the client from backup server. And I had configured two policy for same client but with different folder to be backed up on each policy. In which one policy is running fine and other one is not running for same client. Also bring to your notice the policy which is failing having SVN repository, where our backup window stuck for long duration.

7/13/2015 6:01:55 PM - granted resource 0023L6
    7/13/2015 6:01:55 PM - granted resource IBM.ULT3580-HH6.001
    7/13/2015 6:01:55 PM - granted resource indelndbkp1-dlt-robot-tld-0
    7/13/2015 6:01:55 PM - started
    7/13/2015 6:01:56 PM - estimated 0 kbytes needed
    7/13/2015 6:02:23 PM - connecting
    7/13/2015 6:02:24 PM - connected; connect time: 00:00:01
    7/13/2015 6:02:24 PM - begin writing

• Hi,

Your original issue of status 59 has been resolved so can make a new post if you want help on your next issue. Please select the solution that helped you or share what you did to resolve it so other may benefit too.

• Hi,

I reinstalled NB on client and 59 error vanished but still backup is not completing.

• Reinstall did not really fix the issue. Adding correct Server entry during installation did. As requested yesterday, please start a new discussion for hanging backup. Start the post by telling us as much as possible about the client: NBU version and patch level. Windows version and patch level. Backup selection in policy. The following logs (copied to .txt files, e.g. bptm.txt and uploaded as File attachments ) : On media server : bpbrm and bptm On client : bpbkar If log folders do not exist, you need to create them before next backup attempt. Also add all text in Details tab of hanging job.