Forum Discussion

Vickie
Level 6
12 years ago

Backup the clients having billions of chunk/small files of 2-3kb size

Greetings to all !!!

If we are having multiple client which contain billions of small files of 2-3kb.
What is the best practice to take backup of such clients.
As it will be a hurdle to take normal/regular backup, as its a tough task and time cosuming to calculate Inode timings, modification timings etc to opt for file which is to backup and which not to.
Veritas Netbackup NBU7.5.0.4
Master/Client OS : HP-UX

Is Snapshot backup would be help ful in this case ?

Thanks in advance for you assistance...
  • FlashBackup is the way to go! Raw filesystem is backed up with ability to restore individual files.

You will need Enterprise Client license for the HP-UX client to enable FlashBackup policy type.

See chapter 4 of NetBackup Snapshot Client Administrator's Guide  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5165

8 Replies

• FlashBackup is the way to go! Raw filesystem is backed up with ability to restore individual files.

You will need Enterprise Client license for the HP-UX client to enable FlashBackup policy type.

See chapter 4 of NetBackup Snapshot Client Administrator's Guide  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5165

• FlashBackup is the best option as stated by Marianne if you have enough storage to assign for the snapshot.

• As the others have said Flashbackup is the way to go ... the only other good way is to move the files to a Windows, RHEL or SUSE server in a VMWare environment and backup it up as a VM

• That means, the Snapshot/Flash backup is useful to take backup of such clients.

Flash backup comes under/after Snapshot backup, as what I know. Please correct me if its not.

If it is, what is difference b/w Snapshot & Flash backup.

Snapshot backup : It takes backup to a Disk or any other storage, from where Netbackup takes Data and backup it to Tape.

Flash Backup : Takes Data block by block from Snaoshot backup to move it to tape.

Is this correct, what I mentioned above ?
  • You are about right - a snapshot takes a snapshot of the data and then takes the backup from that snapshot, so no real advantage for you ... Flashbackup backs up the drive at block level so it does not matter if it has one file or a million files it does it raw so is usually very quick (though there is some cataloging time of the individual files)

Do bear in mind that when using flash backup it backs up the entire device .. so if the drive is 4TB with 500GB of tiny files you will get a 4TB backup

Hope this helps

• You can go for Synthetic Backup option also to backup client which contain billions of small files of 2-3kb.

• Thanks All for you assistance and make me clear about my query.

• Even Flash Backup has it's limits, it's not a silver bullet.  I would trial it first, if you don't have an Enterprise server already, it can be an expensive proposition.  See if you can use a temp key to test out the functionality.  Especially around restores.  And the HCL/SCL is pretty tight too on OS supported and specific filesystems supported for this.

Alternatively, the rest of the world has bigger issues like 250million files per filer/nas or per nas gateway.  I've heard of higher, but not much higher.  This is where object based storage is a play.  In the object storage world, you don't back up.  You do an N+1 or N+2 scenerio with replication.  So you can have multiple copies of the data with local and remote redundancy.