Forum Discussion

jwallen21
Level 4
13 years ago

Cluster database backup –adding user to database

I am trying to backup a cluster sql database. When adding a user to a database to have rights for the backup. Does anyone know what permissions that user should have? I have been looking in the documentation and it said just use the correct permissions and I don’t want to give it too many rights. I would like not to give this user sysadmin rights.

• Might be dependent on which version of Windows so I refer it to their team.  Found an old document on MS Technet. 

Permissions Required for Backup and Restore

Any logon that requires permissions to perform backup or restore operations should be provided membership in the following SQL Server roles:

Server Role : sysadmin
    DB role : db_backupoperator, dbo_owner
    Permissions required for performing restore -
    Server role : sysadmin, dbcreator
    DB role : db_owner

4 Replies

• You must set up an account that the NetBackup Client Service can use to log in

to SQL Server. The account must have sufficient SQL Server privileges to perform

a backup. You can then use NetBackup to perform automatic SQL Server backups

of a site that places SQL Server security restrictions on the right to back up

databases.

If you use standard SQL Server security, the NetBackup Client Service must be

started with a Windows account. That account needs to be associated with a

standard SQL Server user ID. The account also requires sufficient administrative

privileges to perform backups and restores.

It is kind of vague but I pass this info on to the Windows admins and they set up an account and we are done. 

• Yeah i read that in the manual but unsure what sufficient SQL Server privileges really mean.

• Might be dependent on which version of Windows so I refer it to their team.  Found an old document on MS Technet. 

Permissions Required for Backup and Restore

Any logon that requires permissions to perform backup or restore operations should be provided membership in the following SQL Server roles:

Server Role : sysadmin
    DB role : db_backupoperator, dbo_owner
    Permissions required for performing restore -
    Server role : sysadmin, dbcreator
    DB role : db_owner