Forum Discussion

nbugermany
Level 3
11 years ago

duplication process

Hello,

I am new to a site using Netbackup, DataDomain, and Vault.  They current write the backup jobs to disk on the DD, and then run a Vault job to copy the data to tape.  The problem is that there does not seem to be any clean up jobs to remove the already copies image off of the DD. So my first question is what is the best command to find what images have a copy on disk and a copy on tape, because I need manuelly delete image off of the disk. I have been using bpimagelist, but not sure if there is a easier way to show me only images which have a disk copy and also a tape copy.

Next question is what is the best way to autiomate this process, Ideally I would like to have after 3 months the data deleted from the disk, but only of course if there is a tape copy. The images can live out the rest of its retention periods days on tape :)

I have seen that you can do this I believe with Vault and also using SLP. What is the better method?

Thank you for the help!

• you can easily look in the GUI--> caltog---> set copy 2 , and see if the images are duplicated and listed under the cop2 or not,if you you can copy those images and run bpexpdate command again to copy1 

*** make sure you specify the copy1 switch in the bpexpdate command , if not it will delete all image copies.

you have a option in Vault, were you can select expire the duplicate images., it will dupilcate the images as soon as it get duplicate. its is the only automated method in the Vault.

I would suggest you to go with SLP if you are using the DD as a advanced disk

if you are using the basic disk storage unit, SLP is not supported. so its needs to be a advanced disk storge unit though OST.

3 Replies

• you can easily look in the GUI--> caltog---> set copy 2 , and see if the images are duplicated and listed under the cop2 or not,if you you can copy those images and run bpexpdate command again to copy1 

*** make sure you specify the copy1 switch in the bpexpdate command , if not it will delete all image copies.

you have a option in Vault, were you can select expire the duplicate images., it will dupilcate the images as soon as it get duplicate. its is the only automated method in the Vault.

I would suggest you to go with SLP if you are using the DD as a advanced disk

if you are using the basic disk storage unit, SLP is not supported. so its needs to be a advanced disk storge unit though OST.

• I agree with Nagalla.

If using DD as OST, SLP will be a better choice.

You can specify different retention levels for backup and for duplicate copies.

• Thank you both for the replies, We do use DD as OST, and I be began to configure a SLP and test with a dummy policy.  For the deleting of images I was hoping for a switch to a command, but I can also do the copy2 thing in the GUI so that is fine.

Thanks again to you both