11 years ago

EC 13 - Vmware Backup policy

Hi All

Master server: Solaris 10, NBU 7.5.0.5

Media Server : Solaris 10, NBU 7.5.0.5

Backup Proxy host : WIN 2008 SP2,  NBU 7.1.0.4, Also a VM

Backup Policy Type: VMWARE.

Client : VM, Windows

I have created another policy to backup the same vm Client with  FLASH_BACKUP_WINDOWS type, thats working perfectly fine.

However I tried to create a new policy of policy type VMWARE for the same client, its backup is failing with EC13, when I check Bpfis logs they are as below:

07:23:16.501 [4992.10128] <2> logparams: C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\bpfis.exe create -nbu -owner NBU -id client1_1379341317 -bpstart_to 300 -bpend_to 300 -backup_copy 0 -ru root -pt 40 -vm_type 2 -vm_client client1 -clnt uspnj505 -st FULL -rg NONE -fim VMware_v2:file_system_optimization=1,snapact=2,drive_selection=0,Virtual_machine_backup=2,disable_quiesce=0,nameuse=1,exclude_swap=1,skipnodisk=0,post_events=1,trantype=hotadd:san:nbd:nbdssl,nameuse=1 -class Test_vmbackups -sched Full -fso -S Master -jobid 1948132
07:23:16.501 [4992.10128] <4> bpfis: INF - EXIT STATUS 20: invalid command parameter

As far as I have investigated, I have just concluded that it is because of NBU version 7.1 on Backup proxy host.

Please let me know if it is correct and also what else can cause this.

Also is it possible to make this configuration working without upgrading NBU on backup proxy host.

• A VMware policy type sends parameters to the VMWare backup host - if that is 7.1 then it will not understand all of the parameters passed

You need your VMware backup host at 7.5 to use that type of policy

Hope this helps

2 Replies

• A VMware policy type sends parameters to the VMWare backup host - if that is 7.1 then it will not understand all of the parameters passed

You need your VMware backup host at 7.5 to use that type of policy

Hope this helps

• Backup policy type "vmware" started with nb 7.5.

All your netbackup environment is not fully compatible with "vmware" policy type because you still have backup host in 7.1.X.  I had similar issue (but i cannot remember exactly) when i had a mixed environment.

It is always preferable to have master/media/etc at same level.

To have full working of all vmware policy type options you need to upgrade the backup host.