Forum Discussion

_47
Level 3
9 years ago

functions in bpcd

Is there a function available in bpcd that can open and read a file on a client from the master ?Also is there a function available in bpcd to execute a command on the client from the master ?

• There is no such functions in bpcd.

For client restores - use Netbackup command : bprestore.

To change Netbackup setting form the master, use bpsetconfig or bpgetconfig.

9 Replies

• There is no such functions in bpcd.

For client restores - use Netbackup command : bprestore.

To change Netbackup setting form the master, use bpsetconfig or bpgetconfig.

• What file do you want to get and what command do you want to run?

• There are a range of communications methods in NetBackup which in effect can do what you want .. but they all follow a process path for certain functions of the communication and backup process.

We would need to know exactly what you want to do fo rus to know what is possible .. after all there are many non NetBackup commands that do what you want so we need to know why you would want NBU to do things for you and exactly what you want it to do.

• There used to be a CLI command 'bpdir' years ago - to remotely list client file systems - but that was removed some time ago, for security reasons.  Clearly 'NetBackup' master can still request client for driver/folder/file lists... because the GUI has the 'browse' function in certain places... so clearly, the old 'bpdir' application protocols are still embedded within NetBackup.

Maybe with a packet sniffer, and a compiler, you could write your own way of 'calling' lists from clients... but is it worth the effort?

And, I can think of a slightly sneaky way of executing commands remotely on clients.   But I'm not sure that I should tell you.  :p

What are you thinking of doing?

• It would be nice if sam told us the reason for his query....
  • Actually i have recently joined Veritas as an intern in the Netbackup division and this information is related to my project.I actually wanted to read the history.log file present in the Patch folder of the client from the master.If this information is confidential and cant be shared publicly kindly reply back to me on my Veritas email id : Saumya.Shandilya@veritas.com

Thanks,

Saumya (@sam123)

• This is a community forum, not Veritas itself. It seems you need to get hold of someone in Engineering, not a user forum...
  • sam123, that can't be done via NetBackup commands, you will have to use native OS commands to remotely view the file contents or simply login to the client.

• You could always write a script to pull the file from clients using:

1) Autocreate a backup policy to backup history.log to a temporary DSU storage unit.

2) Autorestore the file to a new file name incorporating the original client name.

3) Expire the backup image.

4) Iterate for all clients.

Hey presto!  A collection of all of the history.log files from every client.    ;)

You'd have to mindful of exclusion lists, but there's an easy way around that too.  :)