Forum Discussion

manatee
Level 6
8 years ago

how long to backup 2TB data

this is a general question for everyone.

if you have a 2TB database (Oracle) to backup to a SAN storage, what is the length of time you experience to finish the backup?

• Such a question can't be answered easily, it all comes down to the infrastructure.

Set a target, do some math e.g available network bandwidth or write bandwidth the storage array, and see if that matches requirements. If not, back to the drawing board ;-)

• Answer - it depends.

You have to conside the source, the destination, and the transfer path.

I have an Oracle database on Hitachi Flash storage, it transfers data as fast as you can accept it. How fast are your FC HBA?

I have another on spinning disks that limits the source speed, another where the server OS is the choke point.

I have another that has some wacky queries running, I have to limit the throughput to 40MB/Sec so I do not cause application slowdowns.

So for me, from 40Mb/Sec, to 1200 MB/Sec throughput, LOL

12 Replies

• Such a question can't be answered easily, it all comes down to the infrastructure.

Set a target, do some math e.g available network bandwidth or write bandwidth the storage array, and see if that matches requirements. If not, back to the drawing board ;-)

• Answer - it depends.

You have to conside the source, the destination, and the transfer path.

I have an Oracle database on Hitachi Flash storage, it transfers data as fast as you can accept it. How fast are your FC HBA?

I have another on spinning disks that limits the source speed, another where the server OS is the choke point.

I have another that has some wacky queries running, I have to limit the throughput to 40MB/Sec so I do not cause application slowdowns.

So for me, from 40Mb/Sec, to 1200 MB/Sec throughput, LOL

• To paraphrase what some others have already said -- this will be dependent upon the slowest component in your chain.

In your case the chain looks something like this:

Storage -> Oracle host physical connection (HBA, SAN switch, multipathing availability) -> OS -> RMAN -> backup path speed (SAN client or Network -- 1 or 10GbE?) -> Media server -> Media server disk/tape.

This isn't just a gut reaction question to answer, and it requires data and experience.  Can consulting (Veritas or a Veritas partner) assess and help you determine the answer to this?  Sure.  Is there magic to how they'd do it vs. how you could do it yourself?  Only if you have no experience analyzing this sort of thing.

Marianne
      Level 6
      It's been 2 days... Hopefully rino has run this backup and he can tell us what the outcome was...

As well the bpbkar post...
        Marianne
        Level 6

It's been a week now... 

What was the outcome of running this backup?

• I think by now you know that this is a "how long is a piece of string" question....

How fast can rman read data and produce backup stream? 
    How many channels are defined in backup script? 
    How many filesperset?

You say SAN backup - is the Oracle server a media server as well?
    Does the Oracle server have sufficient resources to manage Oracle and NBU Media Manager functions simultaneously?

The only way to know is to run the backup...

PS: 
    Please close off your unresolved forum posts?

manatee
      Level 6

Marianne, the questions  you posed seems can/should be answered by an NBU consultant? as i sure am cannot.

Marianne
        Level 6

The Oracle server owner and dba should answer the questions - not NBU consultant / admin. 

If you have been monitoring backups at any stage, you will understand that backup performance starts at the source.

There is no way NBU person will know anything about resources on Oracle server.
        As per other excellent posts - backup speed is dictated by the environment - starting with the Oracle server.