Forum Discussion

Moaz_Anjum
Level 2
9 years ago

How to Copy SAP offline backups of PRD, AQS and DEV from a shared location to a tape by using netbackup 7.6.1

Dear All,

I am using Symantec Netbackup 7.6.1, running on single master/media server installed on server 2012 r2. We have some policies for online backups to backup oracle database for SAP. (these backups are going directly on tapes)

My client manually takes offline backups of PRD, AQS and DEV databases (including redo logs) to a portable drive by using SAP GUI.

I need to copy all those backup images from that portable drive to a single tape at end of each month, the tape will be stored at offsite location then.

Please help to achieve the above mentioned.

• You will need to backup the dumps on external disk using normal Filesystem policy (Standard if Unix/Linux, MS-Windows for Windows).
    The Storage Unit will be the tape stu.
    The Client name in the policy will be the server where the drive is attached.
    The Backup Selection will be the newly writen folder.

There are 2 ways to do this as far as Schedules are concerned:

1. 'Normal' Full or Inc schedules with Calendar or Frequency Schedule.
      Here timing will be an issue - the dumps will need to be finished by the time the scheduled backup starts. This will also be a problem if a new folder is written each time.
    2. User type schedule with open windows during which user backup will be allowed. Nothing goes in Backup Selection.
      The dba can now add the NBU backup command to the end of the dump script to backup the folder:
      Unix/Linux
      /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpbackup -p <policy-name> -s <user-schedule-name>  <db-dump-path>
      Windows:
      <Install-path>\netbackup\bin\bpbackup -p <policy-name> -s <user-schedule-name>  <db-dump-path>

My recommendation is option 2.

1 Reply

• You will need to backup the dumps on external disk using normal Filesystem policy (Standard if Unix/Linux, MS-Windows for Windows).
    The Storage Unit will be the tape stu.
    The Client name in the policy will be the server where the drive is attached.
    The Backup Selection will be the newly writen folder.

There are 2 ways to do this as far as Schedules are concerned:

1. 'Normal' Full or Inc schedules with Calendar or Frequency Schedule.
      Here timing will be an issue - the dumps will need to be finished by the time the scheduled backup starts. This will also be a problem if a new folder is written each time.
    2. User type schedule with open windows during which user backup will be allowed. Nothing goes in Backup Selection.
      The dba can now add the NBU backup command to the end of the dump script to backup the folder:
      Unix/Linux
      /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpbackup -p <policy-name> -s <user-schedule-name>  <db-dump-path>
      Windows:
      <Install-path>\netbackup\bin\bpbackup -p <policy-name> -s <user-schedule-name>  <db-dump-path>

My recommendation is option 2.