Forum Discussion

asg2ki
Level 4
7 years ago

Is GRT broken in NetBackup 8.1.1 ?

Hi All,

It seems that the GRT functionality is totally broken in NetBackup 8.1.1. It used to work well on NetBackup 8.1 but since I upgraded my environment, there seems to be an internal error somewhere with the product when it comes to duplicating backup images between disk storage units and respectively populating the catalog with enttries. Debug logs and jobs are not showing anything useful apart from the following generic messages:

Error bpduplicate (pid=8228) db_IMAGE() failed: database system error (220)
Error bpduplicate (pid=8228) Status = no images were successfully processed.

This happens with both Active-Directory and Exchange based GRT images and I'm pretty confident the issue is not related to any of the third party products but NetBackup itself. While I'm still able to take properly backups from the resources and also make the initial GRT catalog activity, as I mentioned earlier the problem comes specificly when duplicating images. Most of my policies are making the duplication activities via SLP's between AdvanceDisk and MSDP pools, but for the sake of troubleshooting I did all the manual procedures on duplicating a single separate backup image between various types of DiskPools without any success. The result is all the same and the logs are not indicating any particular pointers except errors like the above one. Additionally I can see the following error entries in BPDBM log file:

bpcr_get_string_pentry: Error detected: ERROR 13

process_request: request complete: exit status 220 database system error; query type: 248

Also what I noticed is that the bpdbm.exe process is indicating crashes within the Application Event Log multiple times but not specifically when the duplication takes place:

Faulting application name: bpdbm.exe, version: 8.101.18.203, time stamp: 0x5a7683e2
Faulting module name: libdiscsrv.dll, version: 8.101.18.203, time stamp: 0x5a767eae
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000000dcf8
Faulting process id: 0x18ec
Faulting application start time: 0x01d41205ce5b4590
Faulting application path: E:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\bpdbm.exe
Faulting module path: E:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\libdiscsrv.dll
Report Id: 8068aebd-6e32-4c76-8b32-a1f8738309ea
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

17 Replies

• Hello,

probably something wrong with the installation itself.. Try Repair option.

I am using AD GRT in 8.1.1 with backup to MSDP, then with a duplication to tape, and it is running ok.

Regards

Michal

asg2ki
      Level 4

Tried that already but unfortunately it didn't make any difference.

Anyway thanks for the suggestion.

Lowell_Palecek
        Level 6

In a verbose bpdbm log, find Q_IMAGE_EXTEND_FILES_FILE. (The dot f file is the files file.). Focus on that pid. Can you find it starting nbfsd? If yes, look for query_client starting nblbc on the client. The actual IPC call is something like bpcr_getfileinfo.

If you get to nblbc on the client, get a verbose log (levels 5 and 2) and capture the ncflbc log.

Exchange and AD use the same database engine, so it's believable that they would have a common problem.

Meanwhile, I'll try it. What version of Exchange? Are you using the GUI, or bpduplicate? Are you setting an Exchange GRT proxy host in the client configuration?

Depending on what you find in the bpdbm log, I may want a bprd log.