Forum Discussion

10 years ago

Licensing for Remote NDMP with multiple tape drives and hosts/filers

We have (1) master/media server, (1) tape library, (10) library tape drives, and (2) NetApp HA filer pairs. We would like to back-up the filers via Remote NDMP (see attached diagram from the NBU NDMP admin guide). None of the tape drives are "shared" with (attached to) the filers; they are all attached via FC SAN to the master/media server. If my understanding is correct, we should only need a single NDMP base license for the master/media server. We should not need any for the filers nor any SSO licenses, etc. Correct? I found some info in the following forum article that would seem to point to that conclusion but, I wanted to be certain that it also applied to our config:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/ndmp-backups-single-tape-drive

Thank you in advance.

• yes.. you would only require NDMP license.

NDMP license should be should be for the number of NDMP hosts that you configure in netbackup.

if you configure your HA cluster with node names , it is going to be 2 NDMP filers and you would require 2 NDMP host licences.

if you configure with Cluster name , i guess one would be fine..

i can confirm you only required NDMP license however i would suggest you to talk with lincencing team about the number of NDMP licenses you required based on your configureation

1 Reply

• yes.. you would only require NDMP license.

NDMP license should be should be for the number of NDMP hosts that you configure in netbackup.

if you configure your HA cluster with node names , it is going to be 2 NDMP filers and you would require 2 NDMP host licences.

if you configure with Cluster name , i guess one would be fine..

i can confirm you only required NDMP license however i would suggest you to talk with lincencing team about the number of NDMP licenses you required based on your configureation