Forum Discussion

nasahasha's avatar
nasahasha
Level 5
11 years ago

media manager found wrong tape in drive

Problem started with library being down and OCP unresponsive, they have to phyically power cycle it to bring it back and then when I logged into Library console I see that there is a tape in one of 2 drives with no barcode.

However I did a inventor from netbackup and it is added to media list and in TLD its showing as A00000 with no barcode but here media ID's starts with 000001 and bacrcode 000001L1.

I tried to label it with right click on A00000 -->label-->checking verufy media label before performing operation, but it failed with error "expected media A00000; found media 000058"

When check media ID 000058 exist in list but its not in library and when I do bpimmedia on 000058, it has some data. why did it changed to A00000? How do I solve this?

Please suggest, let ke know if have any questions.

 

Library is MSL6060, with 1 robot and 2 drives

Netbackup version is 7.6.0.2

OS:Linux

  • it looks like the lable sticker on the tape has been removed or not good enough to read by the robot.

    when it does not find the barcode it , netbackup will assing the default lable to it..

    but looks like same tape has the previouls label as 000058, so get the barcode label printed with 000058 and stick it on the tape...

    there may be some alternate ways tooo

8 Replies

  • it looks like the lable sticker on the tape has been removed or not good enough to read by the robot.

    when it does not find the barcode it , netbackup will assing the default lable to it..

    but looks like same tape has the previouls label as 000058, so get the barcode label printed with 000058 and stick it on the tape...

    there may be some alternate ways tooo

  • I have asked to check label sticker.

    Just curious, As you said if its really damaged. After reprinting the label, What should be my steps, delete A00000 and relabel 000058?

  • delete tape A00000

    and run the inventory again.. it should pick the tape 000058 and update to EMM

  • Manual remove the tape from the robot manual. Inspect barcode is good. Re-insert the tape and run a robot inventory. If  you  get a "duplicate media ID" go to the media section of the Netbackup GUI - find tape 000058 - right click and select move to "---" (outside of robot). Re-run the inventory and delete A00000.

    Done.

  • They have checked and reinserted tape, barcode now reads fine and inventory completed successful and identified tape 000058

     

    For A00000, itt now shows robot type as NONE(earlier showed TLD with no barcode) can I just right click on it and delete, will that be enough?

  • When you have non-barcoded media in the robot, you should never run a 'normal' Inventory. Unless you have added all new tapes to the robot.

    Every time you run normal Inventory, NBU will add non-barcoded media as new.

    When there is previously used non-barcoded media in the robot, you should run a 'Physical Inventory' (vmphyinv) from cmd. This will load tapes into a drive one-by-one and NBU will read the internal label and update slot info.

    Please try NOT to use non-barcoded media in a robot with a barcode reader.
    Non-barcoded media turns media management into a nightmare....

    PS: 
    The fact that the robot is now reading the label fine says to me that there is either something wrong with that label or something wrong with the barcode reader.
    You will have to keep an eye out...