Forum Discussion

mgriffin
Level 3
15 years ago

NDMP for NetBackup 6.5 not functioning

I have a Windows installation of NetBackup 6.5 (with the optional NDMP Option) and am trying to perform a backup of my NetApp FAS 2020 filer using NDMP. I have configured my NetApp to allow NDMP, but I cannot get my NB media server to connect to the Filer to perform the backup.

Is there some special configuration that is required on the NB media server to allow the NDMP backup to proceed?
  • It may take a while before anything actually starts to write.

If you can get to the logs (/vol/vol0/etc/log/backup) on the filer (eg nfs mount on a trusted UNIX box?), it should show something like:

dmp Mon Feb  1 13:49:52 GMT /vol/vol1/CFAS(0) Start (Level 0, NDMP)
    dmp Mon Feb  1 13:49:52 GMT /vol/vol1/CFAS(0) Options (b=0, u)
    dmp Mon Feb  1 13:49:52 GMT /vol/vol1/CFAS(0) Snapshot (weekly.0, Mon Feb  1 00:02:16 GMT)
    dmp Mon Feb  1 13:49:52 GMT /vol/vol1/CFAS(0) Tape_open (ndmp)
    dmp Mon Feb  1 13:49:52 GMT /vol/vol1/CFAS(0) Phase_change (I)
    dmp Mon Feb  1 14:24:59 GMT /vol/vol1/CFAS(0) Phase_change (II)
    dmp Mon Feb  1 14:32:37 GMT /vol/vol1/CFAS(0) Phase_change (III)

this is for a 2Tb volume & it's only written 1Gb so far!

Each of these phases covers a certain part of the backup & when I find my details I post them for you!

"Be patient"

***EDIT***

PHASES:
    Phase I and II: Build the map of files and directories and collect file history and attribute information
    Phase III: Dump data to tape, specifically directory entries
    Phase IV: Dump files
    Phase V: Dump ACLs

So, probably will not write anything to tape until Phase III (40 minutes after the actual start of my job). Phase IV is where it should really start to motor!

9 Replies

• Have you set credentials in the NetBackup console?

Media and Device Management -> Credentials -> NDMP Hosts

NDMP option and license key need to be on the media server as far as I remember.

Use set_ndmp_attr -verify (or -probe) <NAS server> to test connection

BR, Jacob
  • Yes, having "set_ndmp_attr -verify mynas" working, is the 1st step to have nice NDMP backups !
  • I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that I do have the NDMP Option License Key installed and that I did set_ndmp_attr -verify and it comes back successful:

Connecting to host "<host>" as user "root"...
    Waiting for connect notification message...
    Opening session--attempting with NDMP protocol version 4...
    Opening session--successful with NDMP protocol version 4
      host supports MD5 authentication
    Getting MD5 challenge from host...
    Logging in using MD5 method...
    Host info is:
      host name "<host>"
      os type "NetApp"
      os version "NetApp Release 7.3.1.1"
      host id "0135067967"
    Login was successful
    Host supports LOCAL backup/restore
    Host supports 3-way backup/restore
    Host has SnapVault Secondary license installed

Although, once I'm in the NetBackup Administration Console, I go to the 'NetBackup Management>Host Properties>Clients' pane and right-click on my host and attempt to connect. I get an error 25 returned (cannot connect on socket)"
  • - the client software isn't installed on the filer, therefore cannot administer anything via that route.

Altho' that should not prevent successful backups. Have you tried these? Are they successful?

• I've tried running a backup against the NDMP hosts. The error returned is error 99 ("The paths in your NDMP policy file list did not back up successfully.")

I currently have the policy set to backup ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES, because when I attempt to browse the host to pick specific volumes, I get a 'Cannot connect to host' error.
  • e.g.
    /vol/vol1/.snapshot/weekly.0/Data

or
    /vol/vol2/SomeOtherDirectory

***EDIT***

Or if you want to use multiple data streams (NOT to be confused with multiplexing!!)

NEW_STREAM
    /vol/vol1/Dir1
    NEW_STREAM
    /vol/vol1/Dir2
    NEW_STREAM
    /vol/vol1/Dir3

• I manually entered the volume locations and initiated a manual backup. The Activity Monitor reports that the backup is progressing, but there is no activity on the actual tape drive.
  • It may take a while before anything actually starts to write.

If you can get to the logs (/vol/vol0/etc/log/backup) on the filer (eg nfs mount on a trusted UNIX box?), it should show something like:

dmp Mon Feb  1 13:49:52 GMT /vol/vol1/CFAS(0) Start (Level 0, NDMP)
    dmp Mon Feb  1 13:49:52 GMT /vol/vol1/CFAS(0) Options (b=0, u)
    dmp Mon Feb  1 13:49:52 GMT /vol/vol1/CFAS(0) Snapshot (weekly.0, Mon Feb  1 00:02:16 GMT)
    dmp Mon Feb  1 13:49:52 GMT /vol/vol1/CFAS(0) Tape_open (ndmp)
    dmp Mon Feb  1 13:49:52 GMT /vol/vol1/CFAS(0) Phase_change (I)
    dmp Mon Feb  1 14:24:59 GMT /vol/vol1/CFAS(0) Phase_change (II)
    dmp Mon Feb  1 14:32:37 GMT /vol/vol1/CFAS(0) Phase_change (III)

this is for a 2Tb volume & it's only written 1Gb so far!

Each of these phases covers a certain part of the backup & when I find my details I post them for you!

"Be patient"

***EDIT***

PHASES:
    Phase I and II: Build the map of files and directories and collect file history and attribute information
    Phase III: Dump data to tape, specifically directory entries
    Phase IV: Dump files
    Phase V: Dump ACLs

So, probably will not write anything to tape until Phase III (40 minutes after the actual start of my job). Phase IV is where it should really start to motor!

• I found the log you were referring to. Seems that I just wasn't patient enough. I'm still in Phase III.