Forum Discussion

1501SV
Level 4
10 years ago

Need to copy old disk backups to tapes

hi all,

we have some old disk based backups are soon going to expire and i need these to be backed up to my tapes.

Can you someone please help with procedures on how this can be achieved ?

NBU - 7.6.0.1 , currently backups are present on MSDP pool 

• Use bpduplicate command or use Duplicate function in the GUI under Catalog -> Duplicate.

Best is to list images on disk and generate a text file with image id's.

Use bpduplicate command and use this text file as input with -bid option.

e.g:

bpduplicate -dstunit <Storage-unit-name> -Bidfile <Path-to-textfile> -dp dup_pool  -L <path-to-log-file>

See NetBackup Commands Reference Guide  

3 Replies

• Use bpduplicate command or use Duplicate function in the GUI under Catalog -> Duplicate.

Best is to list images on disk and generate a text file with image id's.

Use bpduplicate command and use this text file as input with -bid option.

e.g:

bpduplicate -dstunit <Storage-unit-name> -Bidfile <Path-to-textfile> -dp dup_pool  -L <path-to-log-file>

See NetBackup Commands Reference Guide  

• Appreciate your quick response Marianne. Will check and same and keep you posted

Thank you very much

• If it is a one time job, then use the Catalog utility in the Admin Console to manually duplicate images to another storage unit (e.g tape in your case).

The procedure is documented in:

"Symantec NetBackup 7.6 Administrator's Guide, Volume I" http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6452

Page 943 in chapter 24.

If duplication to tape is something you always want to happen for your disk-based images, then use Storage Lifecycle Policies, to control the flow of backup and following duplication. Chapter 14, page 576.

/A