Forum Discussion

kimleong
Level 4
18 years ago

Netbackup 6.0 MP4 - is there any way to generate tape library usage?

Hi all,

Does anyone know if it's possible to generate a tape library usage by NBU backups? (e.g. 4 tape libraries, each for 8 drives).

The idea is to have this usage graph/spreadsheet to plan for media servers usage and backup windows.

Thanks.

4 Replies

• Hi Kimleong,

Do you mean bandwidth utilization of tape drives, or capacity usage of library?

Can you specify O/S and NBU version of all master and media servers?

Regards,
    Dave.
  • NOM comes free with NetBackup is suppose to provide all this information.

Alternatively, you can look into Backup Reporter.
  • Hi David/Rakesh,

What I mean is the tape drive usage for the library(s). NBU 6.0 MP4 on HP-UX 11.11, media servers are on a range of servers, including HP-UX 11.11, 11.23, Solaris 8, 9, Windows Server 2003.

For example, if I generate a list of policies with their storage unit / start time / elapsed time:

policyA STGA 9:00am 30 mins
    policyB STGC 9:30am 45 mins
    policyC STGA 12:00am 2 hours

How can I generate a 'time-table' of tape drives usage? Idea to is help with the tape drives scheduling to ensure that there are not too many jobs fired up at the same time. Let's say I have 16 tape drives.

I would want to control and plan so that I don't use more than 14 tape drives at any time. In a small environment, this can be managed manually, but in a large environment with hundreds of clients and possibly thousands of policies, it's a pain to manage or track this manually.

Thanks.
  • Not an easy task from base NBU application. Only way I can think of if you create bptm logs with verbose=5 and then manually pull the information from there.

If you have command central/Backup reporter in place then you can pull the information easily.