Forum Discussion

Mike_Lawler's avatar
12 years ago

Netbackup 7.01 restore from Standalone drive on new NBU server

I've inherited an old NetBackup environment at a client that no longer uses NetBackup.  I've stood up a Netbackup Server, attached a standalone drive and inserted the tape...now I'm having issues getting the tape imported so that I can attempt to do the restore for them.

 

Does anyone have some documentation on this process?  I've found something for 6.5, but when I started to do those commands I've sat at waiting for media for 2 days (started it friday, checked it today (monday)).

 

Has anyone done this process, and do you have notes on how you did it?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

  • 1.inventory you standalone drive

    To Inventory media that has already been written to in a Standalone tape drive (and to update that volume in the Volume database):

    For media that has already been labeled and written to by NetBackup; you can perform a physical inventory on the standalone drive or robot to update the Volume DB:

    1. Open a command prompt to the <install_path>\Veritas\volmgr\bin\ directory

    2. Run the command: > vmphyinv -u <drive_index> -h <media_server_name> -verbose

    Example: > vmphyinv -u 0 -h Master1 -verbose

     

    2. then follow the import process. initial import,and the phase 2 import.

8 Replies

  • 1.inventory you standalone drive

    To Inventory media that has already been written to in a Standalone tape drive (and to update that volume in the Volume database):

    For media that has already been labeled and written to by NetBackup; you can perform a physical inventory on the standalone drive or robot to update the Volume DB:

    1. Open a command prompt to the <install_path>\Veritas\volmgr\bin\ directory

    2. Run the command: > vmphyinv -u <drive_index> -h <media_server_name> -verbose

    Example: > vmphyinv -u 0 -h Master1 -verbose

     

    2. then follow the import process. initial import,and the phase 2 import.

  • Do you know the media id for the tape?

    What is the media type (e.g. LTO2/3/4)?

    What is the drive type (e.g. LTO2/3/4)?

    If you know the media id, add it in the Media section of the GUI. Ensure the density matches the drive density.
    Add the media to a pool that will not be used for backups (in case backups are done on test system).
    NetBackup pool should be good if no backups are done on the test system

    Insert tape in drive. Wait for ready light to come on.
    Check Device Monitor to see if internal label is read and reported to NBU.

    If so, you can start with phase 1 import.

     

  • When I run the command I get the following:

    Generating list of recommended changes ...

    VOlume configuration is up-to-date with robot conents.

    --

    however, when I return to the GUI to do the import it sits at

    Begin Import

    Started Process BPTM (5428)

    Requesting resource <tape> --- it has sat here for 2 days now.

  • Do you know the media id for the tape?  I do have the Media ID - it's a barcoded tape, so thats no problem.

    What is the media type (e.g. LTO2/3/4)? It is an LTO4 tape

    What is the drive type (e.g. LTO2/3/4)? Drive type is a SCSI LTO4 Tandberg drive (standalone...no robot :( )

    If you know the media id, add it in the Media section of the GUI. Ensure the density matches the drive density.
    Add the media to a pool that will not be used for backups (in case backups are done on test system).
    NetBackup pool should be good if no backups are done on the test system

    I've already added the ID to the Media Section of the GUI, and I've added it to the Datastore pool.  No worry of the tape being used for backups....this is a DEV box that doesn't get used for backups.

    Insert tape in drive. Wait for ready light to come on.

    Done, ready light is on.


    Check Device Monitor to see if internal label is read and reported to NBU.

    Device Monitor matches the label that I've assigned to the drive

    If so, you can start with phase 1 import.

    Thats what I would have thought as well...it's been years since I worked with NBU, but I recall it being pretty straight forward with old restores....

  • Ahhh, let me amend my previous statement....I inserted a new tape and ran the command you suggested...it loaded the tape into the volume configuation and appears to be moving forward with phase 1 of the import. 

     

    Will update as the process continues.

     

    Thanks!

  • Thank you much Huanglao2002, teh restore is currently running.  I've have marked your anser as the solution as well.