Forum Discussion

we29125
Level 2
10 years ago

Netbackup 7.5.0.3 on Solaris 10. Restore /usr/openv on DR server

Hi,

I have tar whole of /usr/openv of all Netbackup folders & catalog images etc from my Production Netbackup master Server running Solaris 10).

If i restore the tar file of /usr/openv in my DR Netbackup master Server. Will it works ?

My DR procedure is fresh install of OS, Netbackup software, restore catalog then restore files from tape. Especially, restoring of catalog will take a day. So above tar restore will work ?

Thanks

Mark

• Really can't recommend it - there are sym links, PBX, dirs in /etc that will all be missing, + the OS won't know it's installed from a package point of view. We get the odd case where this has been attempted, and the reason we get the case is because something isn't working.

6 Replies

• I hope the tar will reduce the time taken for restoring Netbackup Master in DR server.

• It may work if NBU was completely shutdown when tar backup was taken..

You cannot backup open EMM Sybase database with tar.

The supported way is hot catalog backup to backup NBU EMM databases and flat file catalogs.

See Disaster Recovery chapter in Troubleshooting Guide.

• as Marianne pointed out, it may work but it won't be supported. 

One thing you want to consider is will tar handle symbolic links correctly?  I think for clustered master server this is definitely a no-go.

• watsons is right about symbolic links. 

On Solaris servers, the default installation path is /opt/openv with a symbolic link to /usr/openv.

Something else - without proper installation that runs pkgadd in the background, the sg driver will not be installed. If master is also the media server, it needs the sg device driver.

The Private Branch Exchange package will also be missing.

So, best to use steps in Troubleshooting Guide to install NBU and recover catalog.

• Really can't recommend it - there are sym links, PBX, dirs in /etc that will all be missing, + the OS won't know it's installed from a package point of view. We get the odd case where this has been attempted, and the reason we get the case is because something isn't working.