Forum Discussion

11 years ago

Not able to see all slots on the Netbackup Media Server

Hi Guys, I have one windows 2008 media server with Netbackup 7.6.0.2 installed. I got new tape library TS3500 with 273 slots activated and 8 tape drives.

I have zoned first 4 drives with this media server and I am able to see on device monitor. I have installed required TS3500 tape library drivers on the server from http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=ssg1S7002972 link.

However I am able to see only 64 slots out of 273 from Netbackup. Same result is from Scan command and robtest command. Not sure what is wrong. From IBM side tape library is fully operational and no license issues etc. Also I don't have any partioning here. It's brand new tape library.

• The TN is correct, but if I recall correctly the issue the TN was written for wasn't hiding slots (the correct number were visible in robtest) just that the cartridges never got moved into those slots, they stayed hidden in the virtual I/O. If you do not have ALMS turned on, then the TN is irrelevant. If you do have it turned on, check the setting anyway. If robtest / scan are showing only 64 slots, then that is all the library is allowing NBU to see. If it is partitioned, even if ony 1 logical library, you have to allocate slots to the partition - if I recall, enabling ALMS turns on partitioning. If it is not partitioned (ALMS off) then I think all the slots should be visible, and if they are not, I'm going to suggest a call to IBM, as I can't think of any settings on the library that would hide slots in a non-partitioned setup, apart from the license, which you explain is correct. I was told by Engineering that the 3584 can run in different modes, only accessabe when the library is setup from the control panel, and some of these modes don;t play nicely with NBU. Unfortunately, I have no knowledge of these (its IBM engineer level kind of stuff and I've never seen any Symantec doc on them (I did look at the time I was told)) - given I've never seen one of these libraries in such a mode then for the sec, let's hope that this isn't the issue ). So check you library settings, if partitioned reduce the slots allocated to the partition to say 20 and see that this is refleceted in robtest s s command output (hopefully it will be, which is what I expect). Then increase to > 64 and you only see a max of 64 talk to IBM and repeat the demonstartion.

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Check this technote for clues:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH160104

IBM TS-3500 After ALMS and Virtual I/O features were enabled it was found that cartridges located in the Virtual I/O were not accessible to Netbackup. If the cartridge was moved to a slot belonging to a logical library via the IBM Library web interface, the cartridge will become accessible to Netbackup.

Solution

There are no settings in NetBackup that can influence the behavior of the Virtual I/O slots.

NetBackup up does not directly 'Inventory' a library. Instead it queries the library and waits to be told what tapes (barcodes) are located in which element address (slots/ drives). If NetBackup 'cannot see' a particular cartridge(s) it is because the library is 'hiding' the location, not because of any setting within NetBackup.

For the logical library, we set 'Queued Exports' to HIDE from within the IBM web console on the library. Running an inventory then causes the tapes to be added to the logical library and not left in the virtual I/O ports.

Robtest is a useful tool for checking what cartridges/ positions of cartridges that the library is allowing NetBackup to use. At no time, will the IBM 3500 series library allow Netbackup to directly access the virtual I/O slots. This can be demonstrated but the fact that the robtest ' s p ' (show ports) command will only ever show the contents of the physical CAP/ MAP.

To obtain further assistance or details regarding this library setting, Symantec recommends to contact IBM.

• The TN is correct, but if I recall correctly the issue the TN was written for wasn't hiding slots (the correct number were visible in robtest) just that the cartridges never got moved into those slots, they stayed hidden in the virtual I/O. If you do not have ALMS turned on, then the TN is irrelevant. If you do have it turned on, check the setting anyway. If robtest / scan are showing only 64 slots, then that is all the library is allowing NBU to see. If it is partitioned, even if ony 1 logical library, you have to allocate slots to the partition - if I recall, enabling ALMS turns on partitioning. If it is not partitioned (ALMS off) then I think all the slots should be visible, and if they are not, I'm going to suggest a call to IBM, as I can't think of any settings on the library that would hide slots in a non-partitioned setup, apart from the license, which you explain is correct. I was told by Engineering that the 3584 can run in different modes, only accessabe when the library is setup from the control panel, and some of these modes don;t play nicely with NBU. Unfortunately, I have no knowledge of these (its IBM engineer level kind of stuff and I've never seen any Symantec doc on them (I did look at the time I was told)) - given I've never seen one of these libraries in such a mode then for the sec, let's hope that this isn't the issue ). So check you library settings, if partitioned reduce the slots allocated to the partition to say 20 and see that this is refleceted in robtest s s command output (hopefully it will be, which is what I expect). Then increase to > 64 and you only see a max of 64 talk to IBM and repeat the demonstartion.