Forum Discussion

13 years ago

Problem to configure drives (No passthru access to this drive)

Hi,

I'm having problems to configure my tapes on my Media Server Solaris 10 using Netbackup 7.1.

Master Server: Netbackup 7.1 for Linux (Red Hat 5)

Media Server: Netbackup 7.1 for Solaris (Solaris 10)

Tapes: LTO-4 with SSO.

I upgrated my HBA drivers today and after that I can't run backup normally.

I found one TECH NOTE about that, but I'm not confortable to execute that http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH61591.

Please, someone can help me wth this problem?

Can I do what this Tech Note suggested?

Thanks

Guilherme

3 Replies

• Please share output of /usr/opemv/volmgr/bin/sgscan on Solaris media server.

It is quite normal on Solaris media servers to need to rebuild the sg driver (the NBU pass-thru driver) after changes are made at OS/SAN/hardware level.

First of all - verify that ALL devices in /dev/rmt are valid.

Does 'ls -l /dev/rmt/*cbn |wc -l ' correspond with the number of physical tapes drives?

If not, cleanup device tree and start from scratch:

cd /dev/rmt
    rm *
    devfsadm
    ls -l *cbn       (verify that correct number of drives are seen; make a note of targets and luns)

Rebuild sg driver as follows:

cd /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/driver
    /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/sg.build all -mt <targets> -ml <luns>

/usr/bin/rm -f /kernel/drv/sg.conf
    /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/driver/sg.install

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/sgscan tape

• Don't follow the technote.

Rebuilding the sgdriver should not be too hard, mail me if you need help. (martin<underscore>holt@symantec.com)  

It might be that the drive is configured via wwn as opposed to lun and target, in which case you need only run sgbuild all

As marianne shows, cd to the  /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/driver

dir before running the sgbuild command (else the sg.build/ links file are created in the wrong dir.

I would copy the existing sg.build/ links files first.  Before  you can run sg.install, you will have to move the file /kernel/drv/sg.conf

I also unload the sg driver, not sure if you have to do this, I will check

Please note, I am quite busy tomorrow, so I may only be able to send some details via email.

Please send me contents of:

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/driver/sg.conf and sg.links

cfgadm -al -o show_FCP_dev

ls -al /dev/rmt/0*

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/scan

PLease also ensure that the os can see the drive, it has a /dev/rmt file(s) and you know which drive it is (if you have more than one) referring to it's serial number and wwn.

Martin