Forum Discussion

8 years ago

Production Backups of DFSR not completing & archive bits not clearing via OS when testing...related?

hi,

let me start off by stating that support wouldn't open a ticket for me as 7.6 was EOS as of FEb 01, 2017...and all they keep telling me is i need to update to 7.7. 

Environment:

NBU 7.6.0.2 on windows 2008 R2 Standard  x64 master and media servers.

-utilizing DFS with SAN share to host our common network repository, this is a NBU client 7.6.0.2, WIn server 2012 R2 standard VM

-we do have DFSR between 2 sites, i target the "primary" host for DFSR backups using

Shadow Copy Components:\User Data\Distributed File SystemReplication\DfsrReplicatedFolders\NetworkShare\

using ACC optimization, for the most part, was successfylly running for a few months...

SO...the scenario is i verfieid the archive bit on "my files" were truly all set, not just from the GUI but using cli dir / A:A -s. This resluted in 1843 files "marked for archive"

I ran a full small test backup of "my files" , resulting in a FULL backup image , content verified with BAR (12 GB of data, )...archive bit NOT cleared on "my files" (seems strange)

I then ran a small test diff of "my files", all good, a lot smaller than the full (2 mb), truly a diff as BAR showed empty folders...archive bit still not cleared on "my files" (still strange)

again, verified by the windows file properties via GUI and the dir /a:a /s

The NBU client properties are definetly set to "INCREMENTALS-based on archive bit" and "wait time...300 seconds.

Has anybody else seen this...? 

so the problem is the production DFSR (8 TB) backup will not complete and errors range from:

-file open failed (12) after 82 hours of backup

-file write failed (14) a few tries later

not sure if mutually connected or I'm connecting dots that aren't related....but any insight would be hugely appreciated.

thank you

•  I do not believe that failing backups are related to Archive bit. 

Is your backup running as a single stream or divided into multiple streams (with Allow Multiple data streams selected in Attributes) as per the example in this TN? http://www.veritas.com/docs/000095710

Example:
    Shadow Copy Components:\User Data\Distributed File System Replication\DfsrReplicatedFolders\LosAngeles
    Shadow Copy Components:\User Data\Distributed File System Replication\DfsrReplicatedFolders\NewYork
    Shadow Copy Components:\User Data\Distributed File System Replication\DfsrReplicatedFolders\Denver

You will need logs to find out if the status 12's and 14's are file-related or network-related.
    On media server: bptm and bpbrm 
    On client: bpbkar

I recommend logging level 3. 

PS:
    Please upgrade your NBU environment to ensure ongoing support and for new features and fixes.

4 Replies

•  I do not believe that failing backups are related to Archive bit. 

Is your backup running as a single stream or divided into multiple streams (with Allow Multiple data streams selected in Attributes) as per the example in this TN? http://www.veritas.com/docs/000095710

Example:
    Shadow Copy Components:\User Data\Distributed File System Replication\DfsrReplicatedFolders\LosAngeles
    Shadow Copy Components:\User Data\Distributed File System Replication\DfsrReplicatedFolders\NewYork
    Shadow Copy Components:\User Data\Distributed File System Replication\DfsrReplicatedFolders\Denver

You will need logs to find out if the status 12's and 14's are file-related or network-related.
    On media server: bptm and bpbrm 
    On client: bpbkar

I recommend logging level 3. 

PS:
    Please upgrade your NBU environment to ensure ongoing support and for new features and fixes.

Sergio_Millan
      Level 4

Hi Marianne, 

thank you for your insight.

THe "allow multiple data streams" is not selected in the policy...so runs as a single stream.

I will implement the logging level as suggested and see what stands out.

...and i will update to 7.7.3, just gettting all the details together for our Change Control Process and approval.

• "archive bits not clearing"

That is a function of DFSR.  Check (audit logs? I forget) and you'll see they are cleared and set again almost immediately. 

"The NBU client properties are definitely set to "INCREMENTALS-based on archive bit"

will result in DFSR Incrementals backing up everything (as in Full backup).  You must set that to "based on timestamp". 

Sergio_Millan
      Level 4

HI Will_Restore

I hear what your saying...but i have a good track record of past backups that were fulls capturing "ALL" data and the following diff-inc jobs capturing a lot less data....leading me to believe the diff-inc worked as intended.

I do see several other threads talking about the scenario you outlined....so i will test the time stamp vs archive bit.

question though....do you know if i flip that option on the client properites....will ACC enabled policy start with a new fingerprint....or will it be able to honor the previous base line image?

thank you for your time,