Forum Discussion

SteveLaw
Level 5
11 years ago

Rename a media server?

Hi,

We're using Netbackup 7.5.0.5, Windows 2008 R2 master server. 

I'm a Netbackup amateur. One of my media servers has been migrated to a new active directory. This means it's FQDN has changed from server1.ourcorp.net to server1.newdomain.com. This doesn't seem to make any difference to Netbackup - as recommended we use hosts files instead of DNS, Netbackup still thinks of the server as server1.ourcorp.net and can resolve its IP address ok. 

But from now on everywhere else the server will be known as server1.newdomain.com, and I want to rename the media server to reflect the change, and ok I will have to update all the HOSTS files on all the media servers. I think some of the clients don't rely on HOSTS files and there will probably be problems somewhere down the line if I don't keep server FQDN names up to date. 

So how do I change the media server name within Netbackup? I know there's an ALIAS function which I've used before, but it doesn't actually change the display name within Netbackup, just adds an entry somewhere to the equivalent of server BOB = server FRED or similar. Surely I don't have to remove and re-add the media server? That would involve reassigning all the backups it owns etc etc. Is there a simple way to say "rename server1.ourcorp.net to server1.newdomain.com"?

Thanks!

• There are a few things to do .. if you have disk images you need to expire all those first to make life easy (or copy them somewhere so that they can be imported back once the name has changed).. if it just uses tape:

1. Add it as a new media server:

nbemmcmd -addhost -machinename server.newdomain.com - machinetype media -operatingsystem windows -netbackupversion 7.5.0.5 -masterserver masternservername

2. On the media server open up its registry and edit the Browser, ClientName and Server keys (HKLM\Software\veritas\netbackup\currentversion\config\)

3. Edit the \netbackup\volmgr\vm.conf file

4. Make sure the new name is resolvable to the master

5. move all images from old to new:

bpimage -newserver server1.newdomain.com -oldserver server1.olddomain.com

6. Delete storage units / STU Grouop memberships, tape drives etc from old one

7. Delete old one:

nbemmcmd -deletehost -machinename server1.olddomain.com -machinetype media

8. Run device wizard against new one

Sort out Storage units, groups, policies etc.

It is far easier to just call it server1 and then it eliminates any changes in the future

Sure i have missed a step or two here!

#EDIT#

knew i would miss something!! After the registry and vm.conf change do a bpdown, re-start the Symantec Private Branch Exchange Service - then bpup

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • There isn't a simple way. Alias is the short answer. Renaming a media server isn't as much a bear as master server (can only be done by specifically trained/authorized engineers with appropriate kit) but the name shows up all over the place in all sorts of configurations (EMM, numerous text configuration files on server and client side, registry, etc.). I hate to say it, but if you want it clean, you're redoing it, following the process to decomission a media server and add a new one. 

• There are a few things to do .. if you have disk images you need to expire all those first to make life easy (or copy them somewhere so that they can be imported back once the name has changed).. if it just uses tape:

1. Add it as a new media server:

nbemmcmd -addhost -machinename server.newdomain.com - machinetype media -operatingsystem windows -netbackupversion 7.5.0.5 -masterserver masternservername

2. On the media server open up its registry and edit the Browser, ClientName and Server keys (HKLM\Software\veritas\netbackup\currentversion\config\)

3. Edit the \netbackup\volmgr\vm.conf file

4. Make sure the new name is resolvable to the master

5. move all images from old to new:

bpimage -newserver server1.newdomain.com -oldserver server1.olddomain.com

6. Delete storage units / STU Grouop memberships, tape drives etc from old one

7. Delete old one:

nbemmcmd -deletehost -machinename server1.olddomain.com -machinetype media

8. Run device wizard against new one

Sort out Storage units, groups, policies etc.

It is far easier to just call it server1 and then it eliminates any changes in the future

Sure i have missed a step or two here!

#EDIT#

knew i would miss something!! After the registry and vm.conf change do a bpdown, re-start the Symantec Private Branch Exchange Service - then bpup

• Hi Mark,

Thanks for useful info and procedure!

We mainly use Data Domain so these are disk images. Can you elaborate on the process for these? Some questions on your list:

"if you have disk images you need to expire all those first to make life easy (or copy them somewhere so that they can be imported back once the name has changed).."   But if I expire the images won't they be deleted? As this is the main media server for small clients that could be really bad. 

Add a new media server with the correct name (or just the shortname to prevent this problem happening again). Ok.

Make the registry and vm.conf changes to reflect that name on the original media server, so it matches the new media server entry in the Netbackup config (EMM database?) 

Make sure master and media server host files reflect the new name so resolvable etc

Move all images from old to new server - bpimage command

"Delete storage units / STU Grouop memberships, tape drives etc from old one". So far this server has only written to a dedicated Data Domain storage unit. Do I need to delete the actual storage unit, won't that delete all my data? Can't I just untick the old media server and tick the new one to give it rights to the storage unit?

Delete old media server - nbemmcdm etc

"Run device wizard against new one". Do I need to do that? When I have created new media servers in the past with Data Domain access I've not needed to. 

"Sort out Storage units, groups, policies etc."  -  ok. 

Thanks very much!