Forum Discussion

bills
Level 5
15 years ago

rman keyword phrases

I'm trying to figure out if we can set the keyword phrase from the shell script that initiates the rman backup.  It's currently getting set (as seen in bpimagelist -L) to the sid of the database, which tells me that it CAN be set, but the DBA who wrote the script doesn't really know how.  I've reviewed the script and can't really tell, either (though I know nothing about rman, so perhaps that's not a huge surprise).  I saw something that indicated the TAG was used as the keyword, but that does not appear to be the case.

Anyone done this?

Bill

4 Replies

• the keyword can be set in the commandline that contains bpbackup

-k keyword_phrase
    Specifies a keyword phrase that NetBackup associates with the image that
    this backup operation creates. You then can restore the image by specifying
    the keyword phrase with the -k option on the bprestore command.
    If you use the -i option with -k, NetBackup establishes an association
    between the keyword phrase and the backup policy and image.
    The keyword phrase is a textual description of the backup that is a
    maximum of 128 characters in length.
    All printable characters are permitted including space (" ") and period (".").
    Enclose the phrase in double quotes ("...") or single quotes ( ‘...’) to avoid
    conflict with the UNIX shell.
    The default keyword phrase is the null (empty) string.

• Bob:

Isn't bpbackup only for standard (unix filesystem) backups?  The backup script is using rman to initiate the backup.

Bill

• Bob:

Isn't bpbackup only for standard (unix filesystem) backups?  The backup script is using rman to initiate the backup.

Bill

• In the off chance that anyone else is trying this (or that anyone else is actually seeing this discussion...), according to Symantec support it is not possible to set the keyword via the rman command.  It is currently (6.5.5) hardcoded to use the ORACLE_SID as the keyword.

Bill