Forum Discussion

neilymac
Level 3
14 years ago

SQL database backup retention change

Hi Everyone,

I was wandering if there is any way to change the retention of a single SQL database backup?

My scenaro would go something like this:

SQL client backs up Grandfather Father and Son method.

Daily - Sunday - Friday retention 7 days

Weekly - Saturday retention 1 month

Monthly - First Saturday of the Month retention 1 year

Yearly - First Saturday in Jan retention Infinite

A weekly/Monthly/yearly database backup fails and the next backup of this database succeeds on the daily job with a 7 days retention.

In this instance I would usually backup the database(s) that failed again with the 1 month/1 year/Infinite retention

Is there any way to change the retention of this single database so that it is stored with the Weekly/Monthly/Yearly that succeeded?

We are using Netbackup 6.5.6 Windows 2003/2008

Backing up to VTL (7 days retention) then SLP to tape (7days/1Month/1year/Infinite)

Thanks for reading,

Neil

• Yes, you can extend the retention for a perticular backup and for a perticular copy,

Check for the image id in the catalog , then run the below command

go to path :  \Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd> and then run command

bpexpdate.exe -recalculate [-backupid <backup id>] [-copy <number>] [-d <mm/dd/yyyy HH:MM:SS | 0 | infinity>]

example : if you want to extend a backup id "abc_123456" which is copy 1 then to july 25 2011 then fallow

bpexpdate -recalculate -backupid abc_123456 -copy 1 -d 7/25/2011          

2 Replies

• Yes, you can extend the retention for a perticular backup and for a perticular copy,

Check for the image id in the catalog , then run the below command

go to path :  \Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd> and then run command

bpexpdate.exe -recalculate [-backupid <backup id>] [-copy <number>] [-d <mm/dd/yyyy HH:MM:SS | 0 | infinity>]

example : if you want to extend a backup id "abc_123456" which is copy 1 then to july 25 2011 then fallow

bpexpdate -recalculate -backupid abc_123456 -copy 1 -d 7/25/2011