Forum Discussion

drew2000
Level 2
13 years ago

Upgrade path question (how to deploy new hardware and keep catalog)

Hello All,

I am in the early stages of planning a NBU upgrade, from v6.5.4 to v7.1.  So far, I have read the installation guides and as much of the admin guide as I could.  Our "upgrade" will be on brand new hardware (new blade, keeping existing library and SAN).  The new blade will run Windows 2008 R2.

I need to keep all of my old backup catalogs, databases, and tapes so that old data can be restored.

What is the best way to do this given the fact that I am installing NBU 7.1 fresh on a new server?  Is there a recommended way to migrate the database?  This is for a Customer so I would prefer not to re-inventory/catalog all of the tapes!

I have not seen this info in the admin guide yet, but given the size of the document, I'll admit I could have overlooked it.

Thanks,

Drew

• Hi

Easiest way is one of two methods following the same basic path after the first decision.

The initial options (compatibilty permitting)

1. Upgrade in place to 7.1

2. Remain at 6.5.4

So follow this:

1. Take a full catalog backup

2. Shut the server down

3. Rename new server to be the same as the original and have same drive paths available (NetBackup installation locations)

4. Install NetBackup at same version and patch level

5. Attach library and configure in NetBackup so that you can see the library and tape (same barcode rules and mediaID generation rules)

6. Do a catalog restore

7. Follow the catalog restore procedure for importing and unfreezing the catlog and reconfiguring devices (TroubleShooting Guide)

8. Upgrade if you havent already

This is pretty easy and no issues if going from 32 to 64 bit as long as the server name and installation location for NetBackup is kept the same

The Trouble Shooting Guide for Disaster Recovery guides you to most of this

Hope this helps

5 Replies

• Hi

Easiest way is one of two methods following the same basic path after the first decision.

The initial options (compatibilty permitting)

1. Upgrade in place to 7.1

2. Remain at 6.5.4

So follow this:

1. Take a full catalog backup

2. Shut the server down

3. Rename new server to be the same as the original and have same drive paths available (NetBackup installation locations)

4. Install NetBackup at same version and patch level

5. Attach library and configure in NetBackup so that you can see the library and tape (same barcode rules and mediaID generation rules)

6. Do a catalog restore

7. Follow the catalog restore procedure for importing and unfreezing the catlog and reconfiguring devices (TroubleShooting Guide)

8. Upgrade if you havent already

This is pretty easy and no issues if going from 32 to 64 bit as long as the server name and installation location for NetBackup is kept the same

The Trouble Shooting Guide for Disaster Recovery guides you to most of this

Hope this helps

Anonymous

Agree with Mark, additionally at the top confirm you have changed catalog backups to hot type. Cold/Offline catalog backups no longer supported on 7.x So convert prior to upgrading anything. And run hot-catalog backups before upgrading. Also the catalog recovery process can go quicker if the catalog backup taken prior to the upgrade was available on disk, rather than tape - for this event only of course.

However, you should consult the Upgrade Portal and this technote;

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH74584

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH77447

• W2008 R2 is only supported as from NBU 7.0.

This means that you will have to upgrade old master to 7.1, then use steps in Mark's post and in TECH77447 (link in Stuart's post) to migrate.

• Thanks to each of you for your input.  I need to take some time and think this through. Based on Marianne's comment, it seems like I should upgrade the 6.5.4 server to 7.1, then proceed with restoring the catalog on the new 2008 R2 (NBU 7.1) blade.

I am not sure if the current catalog backups are Hot or Cold, but I will investigate that.

Drew

• The catalog migration using catalog restore is only supported with hot catalog method.
    Also, as pointed out by Stuart, cold catalog backup is discontinued as from 7.x.