Forum Discussion

TBone2K
Level 3
10 years ago

Versions/Licenses Required for 2012

We are currently running 7.5.0.3 Enterprise with one master server and one media server. Both servers are windows 2008R2

I have purchased new hardware to replace the media server and would like to install windows 2012R2 on it. What licenses do I need to upgrade if any? Is theere upgrade pricing (we don't have maintenance). My vendor has only provided me with full license prices for master and client, but I don't see anything about a media server?

Thanks

• The following is re NetBackup licenses only - and not Windows licenses.

If you own base licenses and your maintenance has expired, then I believe that renewed maintenance can be purchased again (at a higher price than if renewed before 30 days after expiry).

The price of a NetBackup Enterprise Server license is the same for a master, or master/media, or media (if the hardware is the same).

If you have a good relationship with your reseller they should be able to offer you an uplift on your base licenses (but only IF your CPU socket count is increasing), and so you should not need purchase new licenses IF your CPU socket count is remaining the same.

So, you may not need to purchase anything... read on...

You only need to 'uplift' your base license and 'uplift' your maintenance license (if you have maintenance) - ONLY IF - the number of physically populated CPU sockets (not cores) has increased from the old servers to the new servers, and taken you up to the next 'tier'.

FYI - "upgrade" is when you have an existing maintenance/support contract and you use a Symantec web portal administrative function to upgrade a key from one major version to the next.  You do not purchase upgrades.  Owning a meintenance/support contract allows you to "upgrade" license keys.

FYI - "uplift" is when you own a base license (and/or maintenance support) and you increase the number of physically populated CPU sockets, such that you enter the next 'tier'.  IMO, you should not have to purchase new licenses all over again.  But maybe in your country the rules are different, or maybe only certain customers are able to "uplift".  I'm not 100% sure.

FYI - re populated socket counts and tiering... typically, but not always:

tier 1 = 1 x CPU

tier 2 = 2 or 3 x CPU

tier 3 = 4 or more x CPU

(FYI - Enterprise Server and Enterprise Client licenses are tiered, and so are single node/cluster variants of NDMP licenses).

(FYI - some of the NDMP type licences are based on 'model' of NAS, and not on CPU count).

So, the upshot, is that...

If the CPU socket count is *not* increasing to next tier (i.e. you do not need to 'uplift' the base license) AND you do not want to 'upgrade' (by virtue of having a maintenance contract) your keys (from v7.5 to v7.6.0.1 or v7.6.1) - then you should not need to purchase anything.

If you have current maintenance AND the socket count of CPUs is *not* increasing - then you should not need to purchase anything, just continue to renew maintenance when it is due so that you can continue to 'upgrade' the keys.

If your maintenance has expired AND you are *not* increasing socket CPU count, then just purchase renewal of maintenance (and not purchase new 'base' licenses) - IF - you want to upgrade your keys.

If your maintenance has expired AND you *are* increasing socket CPU count then just purchase an 'uplift' (so that you can use the new servers which have more CPUs) AND also purchase new 'maintenance' (for the new 'tier') - IF - you want to upgrade your keys.

2 Replies

• The following is re NetBackup licenses only - and not Windows licenses.

If you own base licenses and your maintenance has expired, then I believe that renewed maintenance can be purchased again (at a higher price than if renewed before 30 days after expiry).

The price of a NetBackup Enterprise Server license is the same for a master, or master/media, or media (if the hardware is the same).

If you have a good relationship with your reseller they should be able to offer you an uplift on your base licenses (but only IF your CPU socket count is increasing), and so you should not need purchase new licenses IF your CPU socket count is remaining the same.

So, you may not need to purchase anything... read on...

You only need to 'uplift' your base license and 'uplift' your maintenance license (if you have maintenance) - ONLY IF - the number of physically populated CPU sockets (not cores) has increased from the old servers to the new servers, and taken you up to the next 'tier'.

FYI - "upgrade" is when you have an existing maintenance/support contract and you use a Symantec web portal administrative function to upgrade a key from one major version to the next.  You do not purchase upgrades.  Owning a meintenance/support contract allows you to "upgrade" license keys.

FYI - "uplift" is when you own a base license (and/or maintenance support) and you increase the number of physically populated CPU sockets, such that you enter the next 'tier'.  IMO, you should not have to purchase new licenses all over again.  But maybe in your country the rules are different, or maybe only certain customers are able to "uplift".  I'm not 100% sure.

FYI - re populated socket counts and tiering... typically, but not always:

tier 1 = 1 x CPU

tier 2 = 2 or 3 x CPU

tier 3 = 4 or more x CPU

(FYI - Enterprise Server and Enterprise Client licenses are tiered, and so are single node/cluster variants of NDMP licenses).

(FYI - some of the NDMP type licences are based on 'model' of NAS, and not on CPU count).

So, the upshot, is that...

If the CPU socket count is *not* increasing to next tier (i.e. you do not need to 'uplift' the base license) AND you do not want to 'upgrade' (by virtue of having a maintenance contract) your keys (from v7.5 to v7.6.0.1 or v7.6.1) - then you should not need to purchase anything.

If you have current maintenance AND the socket count of CPUs is *not* increasing - then you should not need to purchase anything, just continue to renew maintenance when it is due so that you can continue to 'upgrade' the keys.

If your maintenance has expired AND you are *not* increasing socket CPU count, then just purchase renewal of maintenance (and not purchase new 'base' licenses) - IF - you want to upgrade your keys.

If your maintenance has expired AND you *are* increasing socket CPU count then just purchase an 'uplift' (so that you can use the new servers which have more CPUs) AND also purchase new 'maintenance' (for the new 'tier') - IF - you want to upgrade your keys.

• The new server has the same number of CPUs as the old one. So it sounds like we just need to repurchase maintenance.

With other vendor I have found if you want to buy back in to maintenance, that you have to pay for all the time you weren't in maintenance, but we'll see if Symantec plays nice.