cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compliance Accelerator 9.0 configuration

Baron164
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I installed Compliance Accelerator and I created a new search under the Application Tab and let it run and it finished successfully. However when I go to the Review tab it says "No Items Avaliable" so I'm wondering what I'm missing...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kenneth_Adams
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Time out errors during the bulk insertion of search hits can be caused by several things, including but not limited to -

1. Too much load on the SQL Server.
  2. Improper autogrowth settings in the properties of the CA Customer database, its transaction log, the tempdb database, and / or its transaction log.
  3. TCP Chimney feature is active on the CA and / or SQL Server.
  4. TCP Offload features are enabled on the network interface card on the CA and / or SQL Server.
  5. The connection timeout setting in the properties of the CA Customer are too small (the default values may need to be increased by a factor of 10).
  6. The amount of data returned is in chuncks too large for the current SQL Server configuration to handle.

I recommend stopping and rejecting the search to start with.  Then re-evaluate the search criteria to see if you can narrow down what you want.

Then, I recommend going through TECH56172, "Recommended steps to optimize performance on Enterprise Vault (EV), Compliance Accelerator (CA), Discovery Accelerator (DA), and SQL Servers in an EV environment", available at http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH56172.  The information in this technical article will help you to optimize your CA environment to what we have found helps the majority of our customers run CA very well.  There may need to be some additional adjusting done after the recommendations are implemented, so be aware of that possibility.  Also, carefully read the article as we note in it where some recommendations are not for EV 10 or not for 64-bit environments.

I also recommend going through TECH63230, "Routine monitoring and maintenance for the Accelerator environment", available at http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH63230.  The information in here includes setting the autogrowth settings on the database and transaction logs for best performance.  It has some other recommended actions that can augment the recommended optimizations.

Finally (for now), if you don't need a search to go across all Departments (when you have multiple Departments), I recommend creating your search within the Department in which it is meant to run.  That keeps the Application level Searches tabl cleaner by showing only those searches that need to run across multiple Departments.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Kenneth_Adams
Level 6

Hello, Baron164;

Answer the following questions for yourself.  When you configured the application level search, did you -

1) Select the option to automatically accept the search results?

2) Select more than one Department in the left Department selection section?

When an application level search is created, it must be configured for one or more Departments in which it will run.  When the search runs, it runs in each Department for which it was configured.  When the search has completed and been accepted, the results will then be put into the review set of each selected Department, with each Department's appropriate hits being placed into its review set.

Now, if the search was not set to automatically accept the results, then each Department in which the search was run has an instance of that search setting in a pending state.  Searches in a pending state will not have their results available in the Review tab until those searches have been accepted and the acceptance processing has move the hits into the approprate tables in the CA customer database.  To accept the searches, just go into the Search sub-tab of each Department in which the search was run, click on the name of the search, then click the Accept button.  Monitor the search until you see it disappear - which means it has completed the acceptance processing.

When the search has been accepted, it's results can be viewed in the Review tab as previously noted.  You can use the criteria in the facets panel (the left panel) to view all results in all Departments, or view the results for a specific Department.  Just note that the facets you select can cause no items to be viewed (i.e., you select a search that has no hits).

I hope this information helps.  Please let us know if you need anything more for this issue.

Baron164
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I do have the "automatically accept search results" checked on my search. I also only have one department, in the search I did select "All Departments" and the specific department that I created. I was unable to find the Search sub-tab for the department. When I select the department I see General, Monitoring, and History.

Kenneth_Adams
Level 6

Ah.  It sounds like the search has had an issue with one or more of the index volumes that it searched against and is in a 'Pending (Error)' state or has failed.

I presume the account you used to create the Department is also the Department owner. By default, the Department owner does not have permission to run searches.  You should see a sub-tab (some people call them buttons) above the Department properties panel that has the label 'Role Assignment'.  Click on that sub-tab to be taken to a new page where your account will be listed in the middle panel and the role to which that account is assigned listed in the right panel (the left panel will be a listing of your Department name, All Departments and All Exceptions).

Click on the Add button at the bottom right of the right pane and select the other roles that are available.  If you don't want all of those roles assigned to your account, just select the roles that you want.  Click the Save button and you'll return right panel to an updated view with the 'new' role assignments added.

When you've got the new roles assigned, you should see the Searches sub-tab on the same row as the Role Assignment sub-tab.  Click on the Searches sub-tab to see the Role Assignment panels change to the Search and Search Details panels.  You should then see the search that you ran listed in the search panel. Click on the search's name, then move to the Search Details panel.  Clickon the drop-down arrow in the top left of that panel to display the options available for which archives to display.  Select the option to display the top 2000 archives by hits.  When the archives you've searched are displayed, look down through them for any that have anything in the 'Info' column.  Note what is in that column.  Anything other than 'Date range exclusion' means that there was some issue with that index volume where we may not have returned all of the items that could have matched the search criteria.

Even with errors in the 'Info' column, you may be able to accept the search hits that were returned.  If you see the Accept button in the Search pane, clicking it will cause the search to be accepted.

Now, if the search did not find any hits, the Search pane will show 0 hits.  If you've not accepted the search, you can then reject it.  As you've run an application level search, you'll need to modify the search criteria at the application leve (just go to the Application tab's Searches sub-tab and double click on the search name to access the criteria that you would be allowed to change).

Please keep us informed as to your progress with this search.

Baron164
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Ok, so I'm using the evadmin account for all of this right now. I gave the account all the roles under department and now I can see the search tab. I went into and found the search I ran. Where it shows the search it still lists a status of "Searching" with over 2,0000,000 hits. Under search details with "Top 2000 achived by hits" the status says "Finished" and there is nothing listed under the Information column. At the tops my active options are stop, pause, reject, and refresh. Resubmit and Accept are greyed out. Also, The search was started on 2/19. Under search details the Durtation is listed at 8 days and 20 hours.

Baron164
Level 6
Partner Accredited

So I refreshed the search details after a few minutes and looks like the duration count is still climbing even though the status says "Finished". The SQL server is also using about 95% of the cpu resources. When I created this search originally I did not specify a date range. Is it possible the search is just still running after over a week?

Kenneth_Adams
Level 6

Wow!  That's a long running search.  You may be having an issue somewhere.  First, click through the different display options in the Search Details section to see if you still have any index volumes that are not started, queued, or in any other status.  If all of the index volumes have completed, then you may need to close the CA Client, stop the Enterprise Vault Accelerator Manager Service (we call this EVAMS for short), reset IIS by opening a Command Prompt on the CA server and running iisreset, then starting EVAMS.  These actions will clear any cache that may be holding on to stale data.

If all index volumes have finished searching and clearing the cache using the above steps does not get the search to complete, you should open a support case so we can take a closer look into what is causing the search to not complete.

Baron164
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Clearing the cache didn't have any effect. I checked the system logs and found two system errors. Event ID 296 and 285 from Accelerator Service Processor.

APP AT - Customer ID: 2 - Error processing bulk search items: Unrecoverable error bulk inserting search items. System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding. at KVS.Accelerator.Search.SearchItems.InsertBulkSearchItem(SearchResults results) at KVS.Accelerator.Search.SearchQueues.SearchResultsProcessWork(ThreadSafeQueue& theQueue, Object queuedItem) APP AT - Customer ID: 2 - An Error has occured while bulk inserting search items. System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding. at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadSniError(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, UInt32 error) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadSni(DbAsyncResult asyncResult, TdsParserStateObject stateObj) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadNetworkPacket() at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadBuffer() at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadByte() at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.ConsumeMetaData() at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_MetaData() at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteScalar() at KVS.Accelerator.Common.TraceDLCommand.ExecuteScalar(IDbCommand command, Boolean RetryDLs) at KVS.Accelerator.Common.TraceDLCommand.ExecuteScalar(IDbCommand command) at KVS.Accelerator.Search.SearchItems.InsertBulkSearchItem(SearchResults results)

Kenneth_Adams
Level 6

Time out errors during the bulk insertion of search hits can be caused by several things, including but not limited to -

1. Too much load on the SQL Server.
  2. Improper autogrowth settings in the properties of the CA Customer database, its transaction log, the tempdb database, and / or its transaction log.
  3. TCP Chimney feature is active on the CA and / or SQL Server.
  4. TCP Offload features are enabled on the network interface card on the CA and / or SQL Server.
  5. The connection timeout setting in the properties of the CA Customer are too small (the default values may need to be increased by a factor of 10).
  6. The amount of data returned is in chuncks too large for the current SQL Server configuration to handle.

I recommend stopping and rejecting the search to start with.  Then re-evaluate the search criteria to see if you can narrow down what you want.

Then, I recommend going through TECH56172, "Recommended steps to optimize performance on Enterprise Vault (EV), Compliance Accelerator (CA), Discovery Accelerator (DA), and SQL Servers in an EV environment", available at http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH56172.  The information in this technical article will help you to optimize your CA environment to what we have found helps the majority of our customers run CA very well.  There may need to be some additional adjusting done after the recommendations are implemented, so be aware of that possibility.  Also, carefully read the article as we note in it where some recommendations are not for EV 10 or not for 64-bit environments.

I also recommend going through TECH63230, "Routine monitoring and maintenance for the Accelerator environment", available at http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH63230.  The information in here includes setting the autogrowth settings on the database and transaction logs for best performance.  It has some other recommended actions that can augment the recommended optimizations.

Finally (for now), if you don't need a search to go across all Departments (when you have multiple Departments), I recommend creating your search within the Department in which it is meant to run.  That keeps the Application level Searches tabl cleaner by showing only those searches that need to run across multiple Departments.

Baron164
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Ok, I killed the search and started another one that only went back for the last 28 days. It completed fairly quickly without issue and I was able to accept it. I started another search to run for the last 2 years so I will wait and see how it goes.

Baron164
Level 6
Partner Accredited

So after rebooting and added a couple extra core's for the SQL server I was able to run several searches without issues and the items are showing up in the review tab.