Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compliance Accelerator - filtering out SPAM solution

goatboy
Level 6

Hi

EV 9.0.2 and 10.0.4

I need a solution to filter out SPAM in CA.

I understand there are 3rd party solution, or custom filtering can be used, or DCS, etc.

A novel proposal is to use the Outlook Rules Wizard to delete SPAM as they arrive into the journal mailbox.

Is this a supported configuration? Seems at face value it would work.

According to MS, the rules size limit for mailboxes in Exchange Server 2007 (and later) has a default size of 64 KB per mailbox. The total rules size limit is also customizable limit up to 256 KB per mailbox. As long as we stick to these limits, should be OK?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Seems like it might work, I don't think it is a question of supportability.  I am pretty sure that for that to work Outlook would need to remain open, doesn't it?  So the risk would be some spam would get through.

Personally, I think custom filtering would work better.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Seems like it might work, I don't think it is a question of supportability.  I am pretty sure that for that to work Outlook would need to remain open, doesn't it?  So the risk would be some spam would get through.

Personally, I think custom filtering would work better.

goatboy
Level 6

Thanks Tony.

It would be a server side rule, so Outlook wouldn't need to be open.

Custom Filtering would do the trick, but the Rules Wizard approach may take load off journaling as Exchange would delete or move the message before it hit the Custom Filter. And it's easier to manage Outlook Rules than modifying the filter XML file.