cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two Compliance Accelerator Servers, One Configuration Database?

Jolaine_Y
Level 4
Partner

I called support and was told that our CA configuration was not supported because we have 2 CA servers but only 1 configuration database. Is it true that for for every Compliance Accelerator server there must be a seperate EVCAConfiguration database?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kenneth_Adams
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello, Jolaine;

We do support CA installations on multiple servers with a common configuration database.  The TSE who told you otherwise was incorrect and, I believe, has been provided with the correct information.  I apologize for the confusion the incorrect information has caused.

There is an issue with multiple CA customers in an environment, regardless of them being on the same CA server or not, and regardless of them sharing the same configuration db or not.  When a CA customer is created, it will start the Department ID numbering at 5 (there are now 4 default Department ID number assignments in all CA and DA customers).  That means that every CA customer can have a Department with its ID number of 5.  This can (and has) cause(d) issues in reviewing items capture by Random Sampling and searching when all of the CA customers share the same journal archive where items are tagged by the Department ID number of the Monitored Employee(s) found in messages.

We prefer only 1 CA customer in an environment, but realize that this cannot always be done.  So, multiple CA customers sharing a single CA configuration database is supported regardless of what CA server hosts the customer.

What we do not support is both CA and DA customers sharing the same configuration database.  CA customers must have a CA only configuration database and DA customers must have a DA only configuration database.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

yes, same goes for DA

Jolaine_Y
Level 4
Partner

Thanks Andy. I couldn't find any documentation saying that it wasn't supported and to my knowledge (it's been set up this way for years) there wasn't anything crazy done to get it working this way.
Any idea why there's a dropdown to choose the customer tasks server if there is only meant to be one configuration database per server? How would the servers know about each other if there are seperate configuration databases?

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i think there have been other posts on the forum where this topic was discussed. maybe it was just for DA but the same principals apply with CA. i know the configuration database and the customer databases can live on different sql servers. i believe the configuration item you're asking about would be used when you move CA to a new server.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I recall back in the days when DA could be set up in a Web Farm to allow it to scale.  To my knowledge no one ever used it in production.  What you are seeing could be some left over bits of code that have been depreicated.  Not really sure though...

Kenneth_Adams
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello, Jolaine;

We do support CA installations on multiple servers with a common configuration database.  The TSE who told you otherwise was incorrect and, I believe, has been provided with the correct information.  I apologize for the confusion the incorrect information has caused.

There is an issue with multiple CA customers in an environment, regardless of them being on the same CA server or not, and regardless of them sharing the same configuration db or not.  When a CA customer is created, it will start the Department ID numbering at 5 (there are now 4 default Department ID number assignments in all CA and DA customers).  That means that every CA customer can have a Department with its ID number of 5.  This can (and has) cause(d) issues in reviewing items capture by Random Sampling and searching when all of the CA customers share the same journal archive where items are tagged by the Department ID number of the Monitored Employee(s) found in messages.

We prefer only 1 CA customer in an environment, but realize that this cannot always be done.  So, multiple CA customers sharing a single CA configuration database is supported regardless of what CA server hosts the customer.

What we do not support is both CA and DA customers sharing the same configuration database.  CA customers must have a CA only configuration database and DA customers must have a DA only configuration database.

Jolaine_Y
Level 4
Partner

Thanks Ken.