cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 5240 appliance with tape via Fiber

me-ver-91
Level 4
Hello,
I have a NetBackup 5240 appliance and I want to configure tape backup. I have connected the tape library to slot 6 port 1 (initiator) via 8GB fiber (does not go through SAN switch but directly connected to the appliance). I then ran Manage > FibreChannel > Scan and Manage > FibreChannel > Show, and the tape library is not showing there. Also, the status of port 1 is "Linkdown".

My question is, does the above configuration work (without going through a SAN switch)? Or do I need to connect the tape library and the appliance via SAN switch and configure zoning?

I know it might an obvious question to some but I'm not that familiar in this regard. Thanking you in advance.

Have a nice day.
3 REPLIES 3

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hello

Well check FC cable 'polarity' - could be that you will have to swap on one end the TX and RX lines. Try this out.
Once drive will be connected that port should be online and will show you wwpn. After running scan you will have to perform NBU device configuration - wizard - to create tape drive and the changer special devices. Make sure that the drive you are connecting to is having a changer LUN on it, so the tape library will also appear out there.

Direct connection and via switch - both are supported - and tested - I am having both configs.

Hello quebek,
Thank you for your reply.

I will check what you said. Good to know that direct connection is also supported and works.

At the same time yesterday, I opened a case with Veritas, so we'll see what happens.

I will provide an update here once I have it.

Thank you, have a nice day.

Hello, just an update. After a lot of troubleshooting and multiple support cases, it turned out that the tape library chassis was faulty (not the drive). Once we replaced it, and directly connected it to the appliance with the fiber cables (keeping in mind the right polarity), everything worked properly.

Have a nice day:)