cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring TB of Data from Tapes to Appliance

bert_geiger
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi folks,

the scenario is to transfer a huge amount of images stored on tapes (hundreds of them) to the new appliances. Portable disks are a no-go. Anyone with experience around?

Regards, Bert

3 REPLIES 3

DPeaco
   VIP   

So are you planning on duplicating the backups on tape media  to msdp or DSSU space? Please provide as many details as you can so that we can provide better insight for what you're wanting to do.

Thanks,
Dennis

bert_geiger
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Dennis,

thanks for the reply! The customer has TBs of Data stored in Libraries, and for internal reasons are not allowed to use portable disks, which would be my preferred solution. I would like to know in general whether other customers had similar requirement and some hints on how they solved it. I rather doubt there are any breath-taking solutions, but I thought I'd ask anyway...

Regards, Bert

DPeaco
   VIP   

@bert_geiger 

You say "new appliances" and you say "TB's of data". 

How many appliances and how much storage is on each media server that could be used to land this data?

How many TB's of data are we talking about in restoring from tape to disk on appliances?

I classify a "lot of data" to be anything over 40 TB as I typically work in environments that are in the Petabytes of storage and data. You don't have to provide names here but details would help in coming up with a workable solution for you.

Thanks,
Dennis