cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable AutoFailOver from stopping services

mkruer
Level 4

I have several services that I am monitoring that are set to autofailover to a seconds system. It has some up that occasionally I need to restart a service without HA failing over to another system. I can disable the failover from happening using the following command
hagrp -modify App_Cluster AutoFailOver 0

However what happens is that if the service is stopped HA continues to shutdown all the other services that are up. I was researching and I cam across disabling the Evacuate on HA, but even with it disabled, it still shuts down the other services.
hagrp -modify App_Cluster Evacuate 0

I want the other services to continue to run even if one went down for some reason. What is the best way to accomplish this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You need to run "hastatus -sum" - this should show a resource than is onlining or offlining.  If it is onlining, then you can run "hagrp -flush grp_name -sys sys_name", but if it is offlining then you will need to stop the component manually (outside of VCS control)

Mike

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you occasionally need to restart a service without HA failing over to another system, then you should freeze service group:

hagrp -freeze App_Cluster

VCS will still then monitor all the components in App_Cluster, but if it notices one is down, it will not take any action to "clean" that component or offline other components.

When you have restarted component, you can then unfreeze service group:

hagrp -unfreeze App_Cluster

If you permantently don't want VCS to take action, you should set VCS resource to non-critical, but this will only work if the resource is at the top level in the resource tree - i.e no other resources depend on it.

Mike

mkruer
Level 4
While trying to freeze the cluster, I am getting the following error VCS WARNING V-16-1-10150 Group App_Cluster cannot be frozen when it is transitioning in the cluster. This is the hastatus, i don't see anything wrong group resource system message --------------- -------------------- -------------------- -------------------- app-49-207 RUNNING app-49-209 RUNNING App_Cluster app-49-207 ONLINE App_Cluster app-49-209 OFFLINE ------------------------------------------------------------------------- app1 app-49-207 ONLINE app1 app-49-209 OFFLINE app2 app-49-207 ONLINE app2 app-49-209 OFFLINE app3 app-49-207 ONLINE ------------------------------------------------------------------------- app3 app-49-209 OFFLINE app4 app-49-207 ONLINE app4 app-49-209 OFFLINE app5 app-49-207 ONLINE app5 app-49-209 OFFLINE ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Virtual_IP app-49-207 ONLINE Virtual_IP app-49-209 OFFLINE Network_Card app-49-207 ONLINE Network_Card app-49-209 ONLINE

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You need to run "hastatus -sum" - this should show a resource than is onlining or offlining.  If it is onlining, then you can run "hagrp -flush grp_name -sys sys_name", but if it is offlining then you will need to stop the component manually (outside of VCS control)

Mike

mkruer
Level 4
Just out of curiously the step required in order to restart a service would be 1. freeze the group 2. stop the app manually via "service app stop" 3. hares -clear app -sys system_name 4. unfreeze the group 5. hares -online app -sys system_name Any reason why i would not just use the offline app instead and then online it? that seems to work just as well and does not require all the other steps