cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate ApplicationHA to new vCenter server

jria
Level 3

We're consolidating a number of vCenter servers into a single instance.  One of the clusters we want to move has VMs managed by AppHA 6.0.1.  Is there an easy way to migrate the cluster configuration from the old vCenter server to the new one without causing any cluster outages or losing the cluster configuration?

I've found this article on how to deal with the permanent loss of a vCenter server, but an unsure what might happen if the existing vCenter server stays online.

https://sort.symantec.com/public/documents/appha/6.0/windows/productguides/html/appha_userguide_60_win/apas11.htm

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sudhir_h
Level 4
Employee

Hi,

You can use the procedure mentioned in the document to change the vcenter server instance.

1. Unregister the plugin from the old vcenter server.

# PluginMgmt unregister <ApplicationHAConsole_IP> <old_vCenterServer_IP> <vCenterServerSDK_Port> <old_vCenterServer_Username> <old_vCenterServer_Password>

2. Register the plugin to the new vcenter server.

# PluginMgmt register <ApplicationHAConsole_IP> <new_vCenterServer_IP> <vCenterServerSDK_Port> <new_vCenterServer_Username> <new_vCenterServer_Password>

3. Restart the Application HA server service.

4. Verify the plugin is registerd to the new vcenter server.

# PluginMgmt verify <ApplicationHAConsole_IP> <new_vCenterServer_IP> <vCenterServerSDK_Port> <new_vCenterServer_Username> <new_vCenterServer_Password>

The old vcenter can continue remaining online.

Regards,

Sudhir

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

sudhir_h
Level 4
Employee

Hi,

You can use the procedure mentioned in the document to change the vcenter server instance.

1. Unregister the plugin from the old vcenter server.

# PluginMgmt unregister <ApplicationHAConsole_IP> <old_vCenterServer_IP> <vCenterServerSDK_Port> <old_vCenterServer_Username> <old_vCenterServer_Password>

2. Register the plugin to the new vcenter server.

# PluginMgmt register <ApplicationHAConsole_IP> <new_vCenterServer_IP> <vCenterServerSDK_Port> <new_vCenterServer_Username> <new_vCenterServer_Password>

3. Restart the Application HA server service.

4. Verify the plugin is registerd to the new vcenter server.

# PluginMgmt verify <ApplicationHAConsole_IP> <new_vCenterServer_IP> <vCenterServerSDK_Port> <new_vCenterServer_Username> <new_vCenterServer_Password>

The old vcenter can continue remaining online.

Regards,

Sudhir

jria
Level 3

Sudhir,

Thanks for the reply.  Can you confirm that I will not need to recreate the clusters and that AppHA will find the existing clusters as soon as everything's moved?

sudhir_h
Level 4
Employee

AFAIK, the AppHA cluster does not keep information about the Vcenter server. The AppHA cluster only communicates with the AppHA console. The AppHA console keeps information about the Vcenter server. Also you would not need to recreate the cluster.

Regards,

Sudhir

jria
Level 3

One more question for you.  When I register this with the new vCenter, I'm going to use a new service account in a different AD domain than the original.  Would that affect how the console communicates with the clusters?

Sorry for all the questions.  This was dropped in my lap after we acquired a company and everyone that knew anything about it left.

sudhir_h
Level 4
Employee

By service account, you mean the credentials used to register and unregister the plugin.

If so, than as long as the account has the proper privileges than it should not matter. This credential is not used for communication between the console and the clusters and hence this commmunication will be unaffected.

Regards,

Sudhir

jria
Level 3

so, I won't need a service account?  what credentials does the console use to talk to vCenter to manage the VM configuration?  From what I can tell, the console modifies the primary VM's configuration and assigns it the shared disks.

sudhir_h
Level 4
Employee

The console does not talk to the Vcenter to manage the VM configuration.  When the application was configured using the wizard, the ESXi IP and credentials with the requiste privileges were provided which is used by the VMwareDisk agent to manage the VM's shared disks. if you have changed the ESXi user than you will have to manuuaky change the configuration in the cluster or re-configure the application in the cluster.

http://www.teamveritas.com/sfwha-6-0-1-on-vmware-vmwaredisks-and-vmnsdg-resources/

regards,

Sudhir

jria
Level 3

that makes sense now.  Thank you for all your help.

Hello,

Thanks for your advise! Please have a look on Aspen Homes.